Thursday, July 28, 2005

Finally an update

I know it has been a while since I have posted and a couple of people(well, the only who read it) have asked why. No excuse other than just lazy really. So here is what is going on:

I am now almost 5 weeks into my new job as a Realtor. The last few weeks of school went smoothly. I am going to miss certain aspects of teaching, but I am glad I am out. So now I am in my new job. I want to say I love every minute of it. In fact, this is a GREAT job. And truthfully, after 5 weeks, I don't know how much I should expect. The fact of the matter is, despite me loving this job, I am VERY frustrated. Lead after lead just seem to not be working out. Here is an update of how my leads for work have gone...

1st lead - got this one before I became a realtor. A lady at school said she wanted to find some property in Wilton and asked for help. I said I would help her once school was out and I was legal to practice. I have now called her three times and not gotten one call back. No returned calls....

2nd lead - also got this before school was out. A friend from the credential program said she and her bf were ready to start looking. She was VERY excited. After 2 weeks of me sending her stuff, she told me she decided to wait and just save money until later. Damnit...

3rd lead - A student's parents asked for my card because they wanted to move this summer. My fault that I didn't get THEIR number...but still, haven't heard from them.

4th lead - A good friend of mine told me her cousin was moving and she would refer them to me. Unfortunately, they had a realtor already that she didn't know about. Bummer....

5th lead - My cousin wants to look for something, but they are not really sure if they can afford anything so that has really come to a standstill after sending them things for a couple of weeks

6th lead - I did an open house and a woman seemed realy interested in working with me. I got all of her information, and sent her stuff she wanted. No luck though. Possible dead lead but still on hold...

7th and most recent lead- A friend said he was ready to start looking to see what was available. I sent him some listings and even showed him my next door neighbors house for sale(more on that later). He liked it but wasn't quite ready to make an offer. That's fine. It was only the first house. Unfortunately, he told me today that he needs his parents to co-sign for him to get a loan and if they are to do that, they want to use their own realtor. I was most excited about this lead because I thought it was pretty solid. Might not happen right away, but solid. Now that one is about as dead as can be.

So, that is where I stand. I am doing all I can. People at work are telling me I am doing a good job and keep it up. But absolutely nothing is coming from this "good work" of mine. I am VERY upset. I know it is only 5 weeks, but that is SEVEN lead that has gone away. Just depressed...

Coming back to my neighbor, he is moving now. He is about THE best neighbor one could hope for. I am not his realtor because he has family in the business so that's ok. I just can't believe he is leaving. To top it off, he is selling to a Russian family that I believe has like 10 kids and cars up the ying yang. I am not a prejudiced person by any means, but that is not my choice for a neighbor. SHIT! Everthing is going to hell right now!!

So now a poker update. You would expect more bad news right? No, I am actually winning right now. 2 weeks ago, we had 9 for poker night and I won. $140 for first place. Last weekend I was at a birthday and played with three others and won $80 there. The last 4 poker nights at my house, we have kept track of points depending on how you finish. After 4 rounds, I am actually in first place! Can you believe that?!?! Poker night is again this weekend so we will see if I can keep it up.

Saturday night is also the 1st annual Foothill High School alumni soccer game. I am jazzed about playing in that. It is going to be a tough game, but I am REALLY looking forward to it. I get a jersey, my name announced and everything. Plus, my business card is on the game program. Like that will do any good.....

2 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

My dear, sweet husband... It broke my heart last night when we talked on the phone and you told me how frustrated and upset you were. I wanted nothing more than to leave work and come home to give you a hug. I know how frustrated you are, but people at work wouldn't be telling you how well you're doing if it weren't true. Take solace in that. And it is a slow process, finding clients, but you have to be persistant and not give up. You are in the relationship building phase of your career. Now is the time you reach out to and make contact with people. You charm them and woo them and make an impression on them so that when they ARE ready, you will be the one they call. We knew getting into this that it could take 6 months to a year for the money to start coming in. We were ok with it then, and we're ok with it now. Have faith in yourself, sweetie. Eventually a lead will pan out, and imagine how good it will feel when it does. I believe in you. I've seen you interact with clients - you ARE good. I also see how much you enjoy this. After seeing you so unhappy in teaching, it is nice to see you happy again. I won't let you give up so quickly on something that finally makes you happy. I will be here to support you no matter what - from dead leads to raking in the dough. You are the love of my life.

Anonymous said...

Son,
Jessica said it perfectly and you dad and I have been talking about it too. I know how you are and you expect things to happen right away but you are doing everything right and it will take some time for things to start taking action. I love you, your dad loves you and, of course, your sister loves you, and we all believe in you. Please don't get frustrated this early in the game. You are a charmer and people will start seeing that. Other than those 7 leads it really isn't enough to have your name out there yet. As soon as you start advertising, showing more homes, etc. it will start to happen. Unfortunately, you are going to have to spend a little money to make some money. I know you are not in this to make $$$$ but more importantly to do something you have an interest in and don't forget that - don't lose sight of that.

We love you!

mom