Tuesday, August 30, 2005

The vulgarity!

When a woman is about to have a baby, I'm told it feels like she has to take the biggest poop of her life. That being said, that's what I tell my patients to look for, so we know when it's time to start pushing. Now, it could be in the way I was raised, or maybe it's that I have a little more couth than my average patient, but I cannot tell you the number of times a patient has said to me, "I have to shit." Umm, ok. I think I personally would have used a different word under the circumstances, but ok, I get your point. The other day my patient said, "My ass hurts." I'm thinking she's sore from being in bed too long, so I say that. She says, "No, it hurts where you shit from." Ok, again, I get what you're telling me, but is it too much to expect people to be a little less graphic? I mean, by no means am I a prude with language - I can drop f-bombs with the best of them - but in a medical setting, I would just think people would be a little less graphic. It makes me laugh...

1 comment:

MrManuel said...

I guess when you are in that much pain, you can't control what you say. Being polite is probably the last thing on people's minds.