Sunday, March 28, 2010

Remembrance

Friday was finally Fran's funeral. It was a truly wonderful experience despite the reason we were all there. I had the honorable task of leading the funeral as a few months before her passing, Fran asked if I would be the one to get up in front of all her loved ones and lead the ceremony. It truly was a difficult thing to do, to get up in front of everyone and not break down. I was choked up a few times, but I held it together and really do think I did Fran proud. Hell, more people came up to me and told me what a wonderful job I did than who came to me when I performed my sister's wedding! It felt good to have THAT many compliments. One person even came up to me and told me that I was absolutely the right choice for doing it! Truly an honor.

After the funeral, we went back to the house and shared memories with family and friends, but like many funeral, turned into drinking by the end of the night. 9 shots later, this is all I could think of for picture of the day!

March 26th, 2010 - Day 302

Now that this is all over, I really feel we can move on now. Jessica and I really haven't had any alone time or just time to sit back and relax for a couple of months now. We haven't had a real chance to enjoy quality time with our friends for some time. Her mom is staying with us all week from the bay area, so it won't be this week either, but the return to normalcy is at least on the horizon. It is much needed.

Saturday was a day without much inspiration for photography, but I sure didn't forget to get a shot in.

March 27th, 2010 - Day 303

I know I just took pictures of bees the other day, but they were out today and it is just so much fun to shoot them. And boy, there were a TON of them today. And it looks like they have been BUSY - just look at the pollen on this guy's feet!

March 28th, 2010 - Day 304

5 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

You were absolutely wonderful for Fran's service. You made me proud, and I KNOW she would have been pleased. It was a great day, emotional, sure, but good closure and the healing can being and the return to normalcy will be more than welcome. Are we still going to try to steal away for a "weekend" (or even an overnight) so you can I can have some Manuel/Jessica reconnect time?

I LOVE the drunk Manuel picture. Despite the day, you look so. freaking. happy.

The cell phone charger plug looks cool, like the lock on the front door, you can see all the scratches on the outlet.

The bees have been busy since your last picture - LOTS of pollen on their legs! I went out with you for a bit while you took your shots and the bees definitely do ignore you - they're focused!

Mom said...

I think the difference between a wedding and a funeral is that people are so focused on the bride and groom. At a funeral, especially Fran's, we all wanted to hear her story. You were absolutely the best at both. I am always proud of you, no matter what you do! You are a natural at speaking, as we have known for years.

The pictures are amazing as always. The bees are such ugly creatures but definitely fascinating that close.

Papi was still laughing at you yesterday and definitely thinks you are a funny drunk who loves to enjoy himself. I'm glad you were able to "let loose" after such an emotional day and months.

Love you!

Tara said...

That bee shot is awesome!

Good job speaking at the funeral, I can't imagine that being an easy task.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

When our Grandmother passed a few yrs ago, my brother Solipsist and I both spoke at her funeral..I was really nervous to speak in front of people I hadn't seen since I was little.. I know that our Grandma would've been happy that we both did her proud.. We had two services so that meant speaking twice.. The came back here after the first service and ahd a wake and we got all tipsey too..
Fran would've been proud.. I'm sure she wil be missed by all.. even in blogger land!

Love the pics.. The bee pic is scary for me.. I'm allergic.. But still a very cool pic.. as is the one you drunk..lol

Churlita said...

Nice job on speaking at the service. When my best friend died of cancer at 32, a bunch of people got together and drank and told stories about him and I knew that would be exactly what he'd want. That's what I would want to. I think people's lives should be celebrated.