Saturday, March 12, 2005

Arch Enemies

Everybody has an arch enemy; that foe that they always seem to come up against. The Fantastic Four had Dr. Doom, the X-Men had Magneto, the Kings had the Lakers for a while, and Daniel Larusso had Johnny. I apparently have Duncan. Now, this isn't a hated enemy. Quite the opposite. He is a great friend. But that guy seems to have my number in poker. I just can't beat him in a showdown. It doesn't matter if I start off with the better cards or he does. He will ALWAYS end up on top.

Even today, a friend of mine who I barely see said had this to say after Duncan took me out yet again in a small game tonight, "Man, Duncan got you again huh?"

My reply, "Oh, so you have heard about how often he beats me?"

His response, "Of course I have. It is almost a thing of legend now how bad he has your number."

See, someone who I barely see knows about my misfortune. I can play well only to lose tons of chips to Duncan ANYTIME I go up against him. Tonight I played well again and it came down to myself and Duncan. I didn't really lose any bad beats to him, but he just always got the cards he wanted. Almost EVERY time. I joked that I need to have shirt made that says, "Duncan's Bitch." That is how I feel. It is not like I played bad either. I play the same way with him as I do with others. I just am able to get cards against others. Not him though. Last week, there were EIGHTEEN different cards in one hand that would have helped me take out Duncan. About a third of the deck. Those who play know that is a lot of outs. I expected that after all my shitty luck with him, I would get some luck that time. Of course I didn't. Jason joked around that I just need to start folding anytime Duncan plays a hand. It's ludicrous, but it almost sounds like a good thing now. All I can do is keep playing how I am playing and hope the world evens out. Daniel Larusso kept getting beat up by Johnny only to prevail in the end. I need to find out what the equivalent of the Crane Technique is for poker.

Bah Weep Granah Weep Nini Bong

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I think that it's a good thing that this guy has your number for one reason. It'll be an amazing,triumphant victory in the end when you do beat him. It will be like a made for TV movie that will be on TBS or somthing. "Defeating Duncan" or something along those lines staring some fading Hollywood star. It'll be great man, don't even stress.