Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Newness

A lot of new things going on in my life.  As reported last post, Jess had her surgery for her knee and hopefully, will be a new person once the recovery period is done.  But it wasn't as straight forward as it may seem.  This is what I wrote a little earlier today on Facebook about the situation.

Last Monday, Jess finally had her knee surgery.  On Tuesday, she gave us quite a scare that many of you don't know about.  Jess was having a lot of pain and not getting much relief from the pain medication she was being given.  Rather than change meds, something she wanted to do, more of the same meds kept being given to her.  While I ran home for a quick shower and my mom and sister looked over her, she hit rock bottom.  Apparently while sleeping, she stopped breathing and started turning colors.  My mom attempted to quick wake her up and with no luck, sent my overdue pregnant sister to run and get help.  People ran in and a code blue was called.  Again, I wasn't there, but a room full of people came in and they were able to finally get her to wake up and breathe again without the use of any kind of resuscitation techniques.  She was lucky, but I shudder to think what would have happened if my mom and sister were not by her side at that moment.  Would she have come out of it on her own or would she have simply passed away without anyone knowing?  It is too scary to think about what ifs.  They figured this happened because of being over medicated, so apparently, just giving her more of the same med was not the answer.  To add further punishment, they took her off all pain meds for a few hours in order to make sure she was safe.  Not something someone who just had surgery wants to hear.  Moral of the story - you never know when something like this may happen, so be careful, be prepared, and don't think anything is just routine.  She could have died....from recovering from knee surgery.  It is too scary to think about.  And be careful with those pain meds.  They are not to be played with.

So yeah, scary stuff.  Thankfully, she is home now and getting better day by day.  It will be a long road ahead, but I'll do everything I can to accommodate her as best as I can and we'll get through this together.  If it makes her pain free in the long run, it is all worth it.

But that is not all that happened with my family last week.  Jess and I now have a nephew!!!  Yup, my sister had her baby boy on Thursday morning and we are so in love with him already.  The only bad part was that because of Jessica's surgery, we didn't get to see him until Saturday when she was released from the hospital and they stopped by on the way home.  Of course, I had to take some PICTURES!!!

Isn't he adorable?  Yeah, we love him...

And that has pretty much been it.  Jess can't really do much at the moment and as her caretaker, I don't venture very far either so it has been a lot of days of just chillin'.  I work and she chills on the bed or sofa.  When I am not working, I chill with her.  But again, all worth it in the end.  Going to quick catch you up with pictures of the day, but will just post the pictures rather than try to explain each one.  Enjoy...

June 14th, 2011 - Day 165

June 15th, 2011 - Day 166

June 16th, 2011 - Day 167

June 17th, 2011 - Day 168

June 18th, 2011 - Day 169

June 19th, 2011 - Day 170

June 20th, 2011 - Day 171

June 21st, 2011 - Day 172

June 22, 2011 - Day 173

June 23rd, 2011 - Day 174

June 24th, 2011 - Day 175

June 25th, 2011 - Day 176

June 26th, 2011 - Day 177

June 27th, 2011 - Day 178

6 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Yeah, it was a busy, exciting week. You've been a trooper through it all, which I appreciate more than you'll ever know.

As always, the pictures are amazing.

Mom said...

It has been a whirlwind of a week but it is all over now and all is good in the world once again. The pictures you do bring it all back to normal and continue to inspire us all!

Jose said...

Wow! I got chills reading this but I am happy to hear she is recovering. I feel I know you guys just through reading your posts over the past five years, yep it's been that long. Love the pictures and one day I hope to have one hanging in my house.

laura b. said...

Wow, a veritable plethora of pictures to look at! So much going on for the two of you...so glad Miss Sassy Pants is on the road to recovery.
I have to say, that one of photo of your nephew's tiny old man baby hand is so, so sweet. He's lovely. Congrats to your family.

Tara said...

I read about the overdose of bad medication. Gives me a bad pit in my stomach of memories from my mom's most recent stay at the hospital. Ugh. I'm so glad things were straightened out and that Jess could go home!

Congrats, Uncle Manuel and Aunt Jess! That's some good news!

I'm also relieved about Jess's knee! Too much drama, you both need to be happy and pain free.

Churlita said...

I'm glad things got better so fast. how scary!