Thursday, February 24, 2005

Why, why, why?

Of course, I am talking about the trade of Chris Webber. This one hit me like a bombshell last night. I wanted to sit down and write about it right away, but I wanted to wait and listen to Petrie's news conference. I was hoping that it would give me the answers as to why in the world this trade was made. Unfortunately. after this conference, I was still just as perplexed as when I heard the news - 8:42 pm on 2/23 to be exact. This trade hurts. I have been a Webb fan since the good ol' Fab Five days. When he got traded to my Kings, it was a dream come true. Then the good times began for this franchise. Could they be over? Has Petrie thrown in the towel? Well, let's look at why this trade might have been done...

1.To get rid of Webb's Contract - Yes, he had a huge contract. But now we are stuck with three guys with decent sized contracts. Thomas's even goes 'till like 2010. So yes, Webb's contract is gone, but we aren't in THAT much better shape.

2.To avoid the risk of Webb going down again - Sure, he is injury prone. But I was willing to take the chance. Especially after seeing what he could do this year on basically one leg. None of the guys we got when HEALTHY are going to make the game winning and clutch 4th quarter shots that Webb has made this year. So let's take the risk. That is my view anyways.

3. Peja was unhappy and wanted out unless Webb was gone - Very likely. This is what I believe happened. The team is ready to say, "Ok, Peja, this is your team. You got what you want. Now take us there." But can he? He has been such a baby this year, I don't know if he can. At least Webb is willing to take a big shot. Peja hides in clutch moments. Is he our leader? All I can say is that if this is what happened, Peja better sack up and start taking over games. If he doesn't improve and is still sulking like he has been all year, then screw him. Let him go run off to L.A. with his security blanket Vlade.

So, how will this trade affect us? It could go either way. We lost an All-Star. He didn;t make the team, but that was debatable. Are we going to have to change the offense. We rely so much on the high post offense. Is Kenny Thomas going to be able to make the nice passes to cutting guards or hit the occassional 18 foot jumper? Doesn't look promising. The only way it might help is if Thomas gets his butt down on the blocks and picks up some much needed rebounds for us. I mean, really bang down there to justify getting him. If he can't improve our rebounding and defense and hurts the way our offense works, then what was the point? That is what I am still trying to figure out. If it doesn't work out, then look out below. Down the standings we go. I am going to miss you Webb. It's just not right. Not all of Sacto hated you...

BAH WEEP GRANAH WEEP NINI BONG

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good riddens.