Monday, May 02, 2005

Hodgepodge

So much to say...

My arch nemeis struck again on Saturday night. Duncan beat me in a hand where I was a clear favorite. If I win the hand and he doesn't get lucky, I win poker night. However, once again, he outdrew me, and a few hands later, I am relegated to 2nd place. I was at a loss for words. Even he admitted it was lucky. As a matter of fact, he was lucky to even be in that position - he got lucky other times in the game against different people. That guy just must be on the right side of the poker gods. Not sure what to say...

Kings suck. Yup, that pretty much covers that...

You know what I think I am going to miss the most about teaching? The answers I sometimes get from students. I tell ya, just reading what they put down sometimes is enough to make my day. From my very first day of teaching, these kids started to crack me up. I remember on my first day of teaching, I gave my students a spelling pretest just to see what they knew. The word was something like "crack." The student who gave me a chuckle was the one who wrote "ckrkak." HUH? I knew from day one, not all students are created equal. I know it is bad to laugh because it is really sad, but hey, you have to find the humor in it. Well, today I got an answer that I know is going to be the best of my three years of teaching. The students had fill in the blank sentences with their spelling words. The question was, "The millionaire worked hard to earn his _____." The correct answer was wealth. Put it in the sentences and read it. But no, the student's answer was this instead: "The millionaire worked hard to earn his women." I almost pissed my pants. I mean, I guess it could work in that sentence. Can't say that it hasn't happened. But still, what a friggin' answer, and from a 4th grader no less. What do they know about working for women? Classic.

There is another irate strory about the law coming up, but that will be next time. I think I went the whole blog without swearing. Good for me.

"I am here to chew bubble gum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubble gum."

No comments: