Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Craziness

I thought I would discuss the recent rule that has been implemented for this coming season at Kansas City Chiefs home games. In case you haven't heard, the stadium has banned excessive standing at their home football games this year. So, people who tend to stand the whole game and cheer will be in violation of the rule. If the end of the game is exciting and you feel like standing for the last few minutes of the game, you will be in violation.



I get why they are doing it. Sometimes, obnoxious people will just stand for no reason. Yes, this might help help avoid some confrontations as more people will hopefully follow a rule than a casual request from the person behind them who can't see. For children and elderly who can't see, this could benefit them too. But, I also see confrontations arising from people saying, "Sit down and obey the law," and the person in violation basically telling the person who said it to piss off. This type of confrontations are unavoidable.



But what if you don't like confrontations? What if the person won't sit down? Well, because we live in a technological age, they have come up with a solution. While at the stadium, you can now text the ushers and they will come and take care of it. Yeah, that won't cause any problems either. I don't know, I don't know if I can get behind this rule. People get excited at games and stand and with this rule in place, I think the people who will take it too far are the people who get annoyed too easily and feel like tattling on everyone for the shortest of standing breaks. It could end up being worse.







In other crazy news, today I went out to buy one cent stamps. I needed 200 of them because my clients still have a lot of 41 cent stamps to use. No big deal as that is only $2.00. I went to the supermarket by my house as it has a post office and a Wells Fargo and I needed to do some banking as well. So, at the post office area, I told the guy I needed 200 stamps. He counted them out and then brought them over. At that cash register, he kept pressing a button and I could see on the screen that it was ringing up each one individually. And he was still pressing the button. Yes, he had to press that button 200 times! I laughed and told him maybe I should pay him in pennies. As I needed a receipt because it was job related, I got to take home this massive thing. I took some pictures as proof.

Stamp after stamp after stamp....




There you go....200 items for $2.00!

Look at the size of that receipt!

34 and a half inches of lovely receipt!

9 comments:

AlienCG said...

Hmmm, no standing at football games. What's next, you must remain quiet so you don't distur others?

So he couldn't simply enter in 200 @ $0.01?

Anonymous said...

The guy at the register couldn't type in .01 X 200? I think an IT overhaul is in order for that store.

Anonymous said...

I've bought penny stamps before at the post office. They don't ring them up one at a time. That guy needs some training.
As for the standing rule. You can't regulate consideration for others.

Jose said...

My daughter loves to scrapbook, I took her to Michael's because they were having a sale on paper and she picked over 100 sheets. They too had to scan each sheet as they sell it by the piece. God forbid they miss one, then their inventory will be totally screwed up. lol

Annoying fans are just... well annoying. I think the text thing is a great concept. Let the ushers warn them and eventually eject them. Now getting up and sheering on a great play is just part of watching a great game.

Churlita said...

Yeah. I cant' see how that would ever work in Chicago. When I went to the Bears game last Winter, pretty much everyone was standing.

laura b. said...

Something about that no standing rule seems kind of sad. Like people have gotten so rude and unreasonable that we couldn't just ask someone if they could take a seat for awhile...
Love the receipt pictures! That is insane!

Tara said...

Reminds me of my grocery store receipt if I go in there shopping with an empty stomach!

Jeez, wasn't there a way they could ring up one book of 1 cent stamps rather than plug in one stamp at a time? If not, they need to fix that.

Mom said...

What's next - no standing at a rock concert! They must have a very bad situation there in order to have made that rule, but seriously - that is just sheer craziness. That receipt thing was crazy! I have to be believe that guy didn't know what he was doing. Thanks for making me snicker!

Anonymous said...

I thought all you California people were so into saving the universe from over-use of paper....this guy should have gotten worked over by Al Gore and his green guard goon squad.

I was once told at a baseball game to sit down by some clods behind me. It was the eighth inning, the Tribe was down 2 and had the bases loaded. These people seriously need to stay home and not pay attention to the game.

Could you imagine if they tried this rule at an international soccer game?