Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Look Ma, no hands!

Today was the first day for a new law here in California. Today, driving while using a cell phone became illegal. Now, you have to use a bluetooth headset while driving. Too many people used their cells while driving, me included. I would like to think I was still a fairly safe driver when I did use it, but I know MANY people were not safe. I support this law. However, if they are going to ban using cell phones, there a few other things that need to go as well.

Today I went out and about into the world and saw plenty of other people who were distracted while they were driving. Let's see, first there was the lady who was looking in her mirror putting on makeup while she was driving. Poor lady, no makeup was going to help her. Then there was the guy who was looking at a map. Maybe he needs a GPS. Then again, as his car was maybe 17 different colors, I don't know if he could afford a GPS. I also saw a lady who was looking backwards(!) so she could hit or yell at her kids. Maybe the built in DVD player was too loud and she was merely asking the kids to turn it down. We can't forget the teenage girl who wasn't talking on the phone, but she was still using it to text. R U 4 REAL?

What else is dangerous? Not tying down your cargo. Yes, someone a few cars ahead of me dropped their sofa in the middle of road. How embarrassing! I mean really sir, a purple tiger print sofa? Luckily, I made it back home safely despite all these unsafe people. And yes, at the end of the drive, a person driving while talking on her cell phone. Maybe she didn't get the memo.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have too many distractions while driving these days. I did not get the headset though. I have my phone on speaker and if someone calls me while driving I can talk without holding the phone.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Due to my freakishly small ear holes, I can't find a bluetooth thay fits comfortably in my ear, so, like Nani, I too did the speaker phone thing yesterday. Of course, to hear well I discovered I had to hold the phone closer to me. So I guess I wasn't truly hands free afterall, was I?

Churlita said...

good to know about the new law, since we'll be going to Tahoe, Yosemite, Sequoia and back to visit San Francisco in 3 weeks. I'll bring headphones, just in case.

Jose said...

My wife is one to use the phone while driving, oh boy does she use that thing. Me I hate phones with a passion and will vote for making it illegal to use it while driving here in Arizona. But you are right, there is a plethora of other things that people do while driving. Let's tackle one thing at a time.

laura b. said...

I think it is the talking on the phone more than holding it up to your ear that is distracting.
My son forgot that yesterday was the new regime and got what had to have been one of the first tickets. $20.00

dmarks said...

George Carlin observed that everyone who goes faster than you is a maniac, and everybody who goes slower is an idiot.

I propose keeping both the maniacs and idiots off the road. That will solve the problems.

Miss Sassy Pants: tiny ears? You must be part Minbari.

Anonymous said...

I think GPS units are just as dangerous as the cell phones. Many people are not disciplined to set them and leave them alone while they drive.

Anonymous said...

Locally, the city of Brooklyn OH was the first in the country to pass the no cell while driving law. Just some facts for you.

I always enjoy "Mr burger and fries" trying to two fist his dinner off his lap while operating a motor vehicle.

The "cosmetologist commuter" exists here as well, eye make up while driving....

"Mr groping for something on the floor of the car while driving" is always a pleasant sight.

"Mr laid back": the guy who has to kick it back while driving, how does he see?

dmarks: thanks for the Carlin

AlienCG said...

I don't like being in the phone at all while driving. It interrupts my music listening which is not a distraction.