Thursday, July 10, 2008

Manuel on Movies #5

I have five more movies to review for you. I figured since it was Summer we would watch more movies as it is not TV season, but as I said a couple of weeks ago, we are finding a ton of stuff to watch lately.


Cloverfield - This is basically a Godzilla type movie done in Blair Witch shake cam style. Sounds cheesy, but you know what, it worked. If they had done it straight forward as a regular monster movie, it would probably wouldn't have been as good. What made it good was that it was slightly different. Yes, the shaky cam first person point of view has been done a few times, but it is still rare enough to be unique. You really feel like you are there with these people as they run around NYC and feel the fear and adrenaline they must be feeling. And this is what makes it enjoyable. The script really isn't great and the alien monster is kind of cheesy. But the way they filmed it is what made it so enjoyable. Be sure to crank up the surround sound on this one! 7.5 out of 10












1408 - This is a horror based on a Stephen King story about a haunted hotel room. You know what though, it really wasn't that scary at all. I guess you could even classify this more as a psychological thriller with some horror elements. The story is pretty decent and I was entertained, but I was in the mood for a really scary movie. I wanted to be too scared to go in a hotel room after this. But like I said, the movie is still entertaining and John Cusack did a really good job. FYI - they advertise Samuel L Jackson in the previews and prominently on the poster, but he is barely in the movie. 7 out of 10















Rescue Dawn - This movie was based on a true story about an American soldier who was a POW in the Vietnam War. This is more of a drama than an action movie, and it worked great that way because this is a really good film. I genuinely cared about what would happen to the characters and that is always a sign of a good story. Christian Bale was his usual brilliant self. This guy amazes me over and over. Additionally, the scenery is gorgeous. This is a truly inspiring story. 8.5 out of 10











Incredible Hulk - Now that is more like it! Like many people, I thought Ang Lee's vision of the Hulk and the movie he made were craptastic. I hated the last Hulk movie as it tried to be beautiful, artsy, and drawn out. It is the Hulk! Hulk Smash! It was just all wrong. So, this reboot of the Hulk (and despite what people think, this is NOT a sequel) is so much better. It still had slow moments, but they worked this time and actually contributed to the story. The story was great and had a King Kong type feel to it. Plus, it delivered the action sequences that were lacking in the other version. And to top it all off, they continued to hint and forward the story of the future Avengers movie coming out in three years. Marvel is now 2 for 2 in the self produced films. 8.5 out of 10










Hancock - Will Smith movie in July. It is like a tradition now! This was a fun movie. What is funny about this movie is that the genre of this movie jumps all over the place. As you have probably seen in the previews, Will Smith is a guy with super powers, but he is none to pleasant. It's funny. But the whole movie isn't like this. It goes from comedy to serious drama to superhero movie to drama again. I actually kind of liked that they kept mixing it up. It kept the movie from getting stale. There is a little bit for everyone. And of course, Will Smith was his usual great self, well great if you like Will Smith. Luckily, I do! 8.5 out of 10

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hancock looks like interesting spin on the latest superhero movie craze... if nothing else at least Will Smith tends to be pretty funny

Anonymous said...

We saw Cloverfield and Uncle Skip hated the wobbly camera thing. I liked the movie. I was afraid to see 1408. I'll look for it and Rescue Dawn.
We've got tickets to Dark Knight! Noon next Friday. YAY!!

Tara said...

I know what you mean about wanting 1408 to be scary. I haven't seen it, but I would've rented it to be scared. So if it doesn't sufficiently spook people, then eh. Maybe I'll rent it because I do like psychological thrillers.

Jose said...

Darn MrManuel I am starting to look forward to your movie critiques. You are actually quite good at it. Will Smith has made it a point to stay clean in his movies and by doing so he has such a huge following, I was not surprised to see the movie do so much money in it's release weekend. Will Smith is just too cool.

Anonymous said...

I really liked The Incredible Hulk also. My favorite movies this summer has been Iron Man (thus far.) I just saw Charlie Wilson's War and highly recommend it. Really makes you think and scratch your head at the end.

dmarks said...

1408? Would be cool with Samuel L. Jackson as an ass-kicking ghostbuster. "Slime THIS, you m***********!!!!!"

Anonymous said...

The Hulk just looks good because of the cast. Ed Norton brings some credibility to any role. Tim Roth was an odd, but good choice as a bad guy.

Mom said...

I still want to see the Hulk since we missed seeing it with you. Will probably wait now until DVD. The War movie looks pretty good. I'm sure it is a movie your dad will want. I'll probably see Hancock, although it has never been one of my "must see" movies.

Churlita said...

I haven't seen any of those movies. It looks like I have a lot of catching up to do.

dmarks said...

I have yet to see a Tim Roth movie where he doesn't have an ape mask.

Unless of course that is really him, and he wears a human mask in these other movies.

laura b. said...

The only one I've seen so far is Cloverfield, which I agree was interestingly shot. I have heard good things about Hancock and this version of The Hulk.