Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jessica's new tattoo

After I got my tattoo, Jess became jealous and wanted one of her own. Well, a third tattoo of her own, but her other two are pretty damn small. The first thing we had to do was come up with an idea. I suggested Chewbacca as she has always been a fan of the character. Additionally, her mom and stepdad have called her "Chewie" for a long time. It seemed perfect, but she needed some convincing. After all, a tattoo on your body isn't really a small thing that should be done on impulse. I further suggested she make Chewbacca kind of kid like as her dad and stepmom call her "Kid." She loved the idea, but it still took some weeks for her to work up the nerve. Finally last week, she did it, courtesy of Brandon, the great tattoo artist who did mine. Here is the play by play...

The outline after it was placed on her body. It is a Chewbacca, done in a kid like form. The inspiration was the Japanese lucky cat. Google it.


The outline now tattooed on her body.



His belly and belt colored in.

Almost his whole body colored in now.
Jessica in the act. She wasn't smiling the WHOLE time.



Look, he has a red moustache! Or, that could just be blood....



Just the finishing touches now...


All done!!


For a little perspective of how big it is

12 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

That is soooooo cute... I bet it hurt ike hell.. Good for her to sticking it out... How long did it take for it to be finished?
he did an excellent job..

Anonymous said...

That is a cutie for sure.

Tara said...

That is awesome! I admire both of you for getting tattoos, I'm not that brave yet. But that little Chewbacca has great color and detail! Very cute.

Churlita said...

Cute little Chewie tattoo. He really does a great job, doesn't he?

laura b. said...

What a neat idea, working in different aspects of Jessica's likes into one tattoo. It is very striking!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Hi all! I'll answer a few of the questions thus far. We started about 630pm and we left about 945pm, but he didn't tattoo the whole time. We took about 3 or 4 10 minute breaks, so actual needle to skin time was probably 2.5 hours. Did it hurt? YES! When he started the outline he started with Chewie's left foot, the one on the right looking at him. For the first 2 minutes or so I was thinking in my head, "There is NO WAY I can stand this for 2 hours!" Then I thought about how ridiculous a single Wookie leg would look on my back so I stuck it out. And over time, it hurt a little less. Well, that's not entirely true - certain parts hurt like a mo fo while others were tolerable. I am absolutely IN LOVE with my Chewbacca! Not only is it paying homage to all 4 of my parents, but it's an original by an amazing artist. The color and detail are awesome; Brandon is a freaking genius!

Mom said...

It's fun watching him work too. That whole blood thing freaks me out, though. Still thinking whether I'll do one or not.

Anonymous said...

That is pretty good as far as ideas go. I like the spin on the character and the fact there is a story linked to it.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

evil-e: I FIRMLY believe that tattoos should mean something.

AlienCG said...

That is some pretty cool needlework. I like the uniqueness of both yours and Manuel's tattoos. It sure beats barbed wire or a tribal.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I need a Rogue tattoo now. Or maybe a Rogue and Gambit one....


:)

That is one awesome tattoo, Mrs. Manuel!

*Renee* said...

Very cool :) and he's cute :D!