Monday, June 30, 2008

Controversial Post

FYI, this post deals with the war, soldiers, and other controversial subjects. This post is the result of a long winded discussion myself and some others had yesterday on the message board for the video game clan I have. It started with someone posting a video of soldiers in Iraq doing some really horrible things. I couldn't watch the whole thing as I had to turn it off after I saw soldiers teaching Iraqi children to say things in English that were against their religion and laughing about it, teasing kids with bottled water as they drove in a truck and making the kids run after them, and finally throwing a puppy off a cliff.

Like I said, it started with someone posting the videos and wondering why people would do this. Someone else retorted that although it looks bad, you cannot judge a soldier because of the things they go through over there. He brought up PTSD and the stress of being over there. As he had a father killed while in the service, he said the subject of soldiers was very sensitive to him.

I countered with the fact that although I support our troops for putting their lives on the line, whether or not I believe in or support the war. I believe that the stress of being over there has to be extremely overwhelming, but I absolutely do not condone anything of this nature. I just don't see how being in war makes one do such hurtful things. War is bad, but does it impare your judgement of what is right and wrong? Does war turn you into pure evil. Does war teach you animal cruelty? Or are these just (and I know this is just a VERY small majority of the troops) the troops who as children, blew up bullfrogs and beat up kids for loose change?

War is a horrible thing and I know it must do horirble things to people, but to what extent does it change your morals?

9 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

There is never an excuse for animal/child cruelty. Never ever. And those who ARE curel to animals or children have some pathological issues.

That being said, I have no clue what it is like to be a soldier at war. I imagine it is quite stressful. Even under the worst of circumstances however, I do not see how it could cause you to teach Muslim kids to say, "I love pork," or chase a car for a water bottle or (shudder) throw a puppy off a cliff. I think the people who did these things were bullies to begin with - the war had nothing to do with it; that, unfortunately, is their personalities.

Anonymous said...

I thought I heard somewhere that the armed forces now allow people with emotional problems to join up. I guess everybody who's going to volunteer has pretty much done so, now they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel. And/or as Jessica said, these people were bullies to begin with. I would think fighting in a war would make you more empathetic, not less, but this is just a guess on my part.

Anonymous said...

I don't condone doing anything like that. I actually saw the videos you speak of. There are better ways of blowing off steam.

Unfortunately, just as any group, there are those who will be assholes. Maybe not to the extent that these soldiers were, but every large group has that couple of guys who insist on being stupid for some reason.

Me and you both doing serious posts in the same week, what the hell? Are we turning into "real" bloggers?

Tara said...

I've never been to war, but I can't fathom a situation over there that would cause me to throw away my morals I've held all my life and turn me into someone who did those terrible things that were on the videos you saw.

Anonymous said...

The people responsible for these atrocities, taunting children, killing small animals, are sick and perverted and are using the war as a playground to indulge themselves in their depravity. There is no excuse. People who defend them don't know what they are talking about. These sickos exist everywhere. They are not a result of the war. They just are.

Anonymous said...

In war it is "Kill or be killed." I cannot judge someone for what toll that takes on them psychologically. They should still be held responsible for their actions, but I can see how being in a war can blur the line in what is right and what is wrong. I have a friend who has gone to Iraq and Afghanistan and he is not the person he was before he left. He never will be again. Whether or not anyone does or does not support this war, the soldiers are not given the tools to help them deal with psychological issues while they are there, or when they return home. Again, I don't believe there is an excuse for committing crimes and everyone should be held accountable...

Churlita said...

I know plenty of people who have been there and came back and may have had issues but didn't taunt children or kill small animals. I think those soldiers were like that before they left. I think Evil-E's right. There are bad apples in every bunch.

laura b. said...

Although I can't pretend to imagine what our soldiers are going through, I do believe that in this particular instance we are seeing bullies being bullies. They are more than likely people who had issues and will continue to have issues no matter where they are or what their job is.

AlienCG said...

Unfortunately, all soldiers will be judged by the actions of these few in the eyes of many. I don't believe that they represent the majority. Excellent post, Manuel.