Monday, June 09, 2008

An upcoming trip!


Today, Jess and I made plane reservations for a trip to Washington DC in October. We have been wanting to take an honest to goodness real vacation for a while. Not a couple nighter to Vegas or to the beach or something like that, but a long trip. We talked about going to London, but we would be spending about $2000 on tickets alone and decided against it. We talked about New York, but she has been there tons of times with some family living there and I spent 2 weeks there a few years ago. She wanted to go somewhere she had never been. As I had been wanting to take her to D.C. for awhile, we decided to book our trip. I spent a week in D.C. my junior year of high school. I went with some classmates for a learning trip. We took classes and of course saw sights, but it was all very structured. I have been wanting to go back since. So now, our plane plans are taken care of. Now we just need to decide on a hotel. Luckily, some of the guys I play video games with live in the D.C. area so we will be getting some help with planning our trip. Right now though, we are super excited. Anyone else been there and have some suggestions other than the usual museums and landmarks?

10 comments:

laura b. said...

I have never been there, so have nothing useful to contribute. But congratulations on planning what sounds like it is going to be an awesome getaway!

Tara said...

My mom went there with my brother and his wife. They all had a really good time and took in as many sites as they could.

I'm excited for your vacation! It's great that you've got some gaming friends to help you plan it too!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like such a nice vacation. That is a place I've always wanted to go to. You've got lots of time to plan.

Churlita said...

It sounds like the just the ticket for you two. Nothing helps to get through the doldrums like having a vacation to look forward to.

Jose said...

Hey, I'm back from my trip only to find out you are planning yours. Never been but it sounds exciting. I had a blast in Mexico and will be posting a lot about it soon.

Anonymous said...

Check out Baltimore and Norfolk as well. You can really see a lot in one small part of the country.

Stay away from I-95 at rush hour, or any other time of day for that matter.

Do not venture into the "alphabet streets" in DC. Very dangerous places.

Ask David in DC

Smithsonian--it is excellent

Mom said...

I'm excited for the two of you. It is really nice to have an "actual" vacation. Not family, not a weekender, but you are there and you are a tourist. Have fun planning. I can see the scrapbook planning now!

AlienCG said...

I agree with Evil-E. Go to the Smithsonian. Other than that, it has been a long long time since I have been there.

dmarks said...

I'm going in late September.

Anonymous said...

I third the notion of the Smithsonian. What an incredible place! I especially "liked" the cockroach exhibit, which was a kitchen set with roaches all over it showing how fast they multiply...ew

A little bit of a drive, but still close is Gettysburg. The place has a bit of an atmosphere, I could almost feel the energies of past battles there.