Monday, June 23, 2008

I can't get enough of bad tv

So it is the off season for television shows, meaning, all that is really on are reruns and shows that would never survive during the regular television season September - May. Funny thing is, my wife and I seem to have more shows on our DVR right now than during the television season. And you know what, they are mostly shows that the general population would consider trash shows. And what is even worse, we are addicted to this garbage.

Case in point, we love to watch the show, "The Moment of Truth." People are hooked up to a lie detector(done backstage) and asked questions that expose themselves and ruin their lives and the lives of they ones they love. Sample questions - "Do you regret marrying your husband," "Have you ever cheated on your girlfriend," and "Do you think your life would have been better if you had lived with your dad instead of your mom?" And the people answer this in front of their loved ones. It is just wrong, hurtful, and like a train wreck, we can not turn our heads away. If you enjoy watching people ruin their lives, well, this is for you.

How about the fact that we watch, "The Two Coreys?" Yes, we watch a reality show about former child stars Corey Haim and Corey Feldman. It just started its second season. Like the above mentioned show. It is also a train wreck and their lives, especially that of Corey Haim and is an absolute mess. They have such a disfunctional relationship, it is almost comical. I find myself thinking, how did he become so screwed up?!?

And what starts this week that Jess and I will be all over? "Wipeout" and "I Survived a Japanese Game Show." Wipeout seems to be just an American knockoff of MXC and that is enough to make me tune in as MXC is one of the funniest shows I have ever seen. We've been knocking off all their horror movies, why not their tv shows? Seeing people go through strange obstacle courses and hurting themselves? I am so there! Then, the latter show seems to be a game show where the contestants will be made to do all kinds of weird shit, a la, Japanese game shows, which are known for being off the wall. Are they going to make then eat weird stuff? Tar and feather themselves? Who knows, but again, my ass will be firmly planted in the seat.

You know what, I know these are bad shows and further evidence of the downfall of society. But I cannot, NOT watch these. I'm sick....

11 comments:

dmarks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have nothing to watch right now...
The Indians pretty much suck, Euro 08 is almost over (I have been watching almost religiously), and foot ball season is more than a month away yet.

dmarks said...

I hate having so many spelling mistakes, so here it is again

Are you sure there were only two Coreys? Somehow I think there's one or two missing ones.

Jose said...

Truth is we need to be done with reality shows. I am ready to see people act again.

Tara said...

I used to watch "Wife Swap", and was actually addicted to a Sci-Fi "reality" show called Mad House. That one I watched from the first episode all the way through till the end.

Anonymous said...

I guess we can get addicted to anything if it's bad for us. I've watched a little Corey's, Lohans, Girls Next Door, Denise Richards and Kardashians. No thinking involved. Just boobin.

Churlita said...

I like MXC in small doses. There's nothing wrong with watching stupid TV. Some days it's all I can process after work.

Mom said...

Right now I'm glad there is soccer. Last night I watched shows that I still had recorded and didn't have a chance to see yet. It was pretty weird not watching soccer. Anyway, I am reading, which is something I never do, but I love reruns. Especially my Monday night comedies. Don't think I'll watch the Japanese shows. I love MXC but don't want to see the new shows.

AlienCG said...

Does this mean you're not watching "The Greatest American Dog?"

"The Moment of Truth" always seemed like a great idea. Ruin your life and win money in the process. This is what makes America so great.

laura b. said...

You know I have my reality show fixations too, so no criticism from me. I have decided that watching bad tv does not equal being a bad person :-) You go on and enjoy your bad tv, that's what it's there for!

PurpleOceanMoon said...

I saw Wipe out and the Japanese Game show one last night. The one girl calling for her "Mommy" was weird, but I liked the rest of it. Watching them getting bounced of the big balls was a riot!