Tuesday, August 11, 2009

More Testosterone...

If you are a reader of the blog, you know how excited I am for The Expendables, Stallone's upcoming mindless action extravaganza! Go here if you need to refresh your memory.

Well, there is another movie that might rival it for pure awesomeness. Machete is officially a reality and I have been waiting on this one for some time. What is Machete? Well, a couple of years ago, Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez collaborated to make two films that were an homage to grindhouse style films of yesteryear. They each made their own film, but when it was released in theaters, the two were shown together as a double feature and it was aptly named Grindhouse. To make it even more realistic, they got the help of some guest directors to film some fake trailers that were shown before each film. One of the fake trailers, Machete, was made by Rodriguez himself and starred the awesome Danny Trejo. Watch it below, but a warning, there is some T&A and language if you are watching at work. It is worth a look though...




Pretty kick ass, right? Well, apparently, I wasn't the only one who thought so and the fake Machete character became maybe more popular than the real films it preceded. So, rumors of making it into a real movie began with Rodriguez leading the rumors himself. Well, last week, production was finally started and even though a few rumors of who else would be in it had leaked, the final cast list was more than I could have hoped!

So who is in it? Well, of course, Danny Trejo has to be in it. He's Machete himself. Cheech Marin and Jeff Fahey are also returning to reprise their trailer roles. But we can't stop there. How about they add Robert De Niro, Jessica Alba, Michelle Rodriguez, Steven Segal, Lindsey Lohan, and Don Johnson!?!? Wow, where did they all come from? First, De Niro....if you can get him for your movie, you've already done something right. I mean, it's De Niro. Adding the hot Jessica Alba and the kick ass Michelle Rodriguez brings some much needed females to the testosterone filled movie. Steven Segal? Hell, why not? As one of the few 80s action stars not in The Expendables, it will be good to see him back in a movie that isn't a straight to DVD movie that only a few people will see. Lindsey Lohan? Really, what else is she doing and maybe this can be another career start for her. That mess of a human could surprise us and summon her Mean Girls days when she was actually good. And Don Johnson; well, has he made any movies since Tin Cup in the late 90s? I don't think I have seen him since and well, he was pretty likable as a prick in that movie. I mean, this could really work. I don't think it quite reaches the level of Expendables badass-edness, but it looks like it could be close...

10 comments:

Sal said...

I'm pretty excited for Machete. Danny Trejo can pretty much do no wrong, and the fake trailer was one of the most tantalizing moments of Grindhouse, a film experience that had more than its share of cool stuff. I love the fact that Deniro is in this; he's a legend to me, a cinematic deity if you will, and despite a couple movies I thought he was too good for (*cough* Rocky and Bullwinkle *cough*), he's given me hours and hours of happiness during his career.

"As one of the few 80s action stars not in The Expendables, it will be good to see him back in a movie that isn't a straight to DVD movie that only a few people will see." Ahh, truer words have never been spoken. I remember the days when Steven Seagal was a sure-fire box office draw, when his formulaic but fun action films had me and my peers paying for PG movies and sneaking in.

Between Machete and The Expendables, my inner '80s action movie fan is going to be very, very happy next year.

Mom said...

It looks fantastic! Definitely a movie that is violent just because it can be. Good actors as well and of course, I'm glad to see Trejo as the main guy. It's about time. With any luck Lindsey Lohan will die a horrible death in the movie. That would make it all worth while.

Sal said...

Re: Lindsay Lohan, Mom, I like the way you think. :)

laura b. said...

Oh boy...I hope they keep it just that over-the-top. What a blast!

Jose said...

I know this will be a blast, can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Machete is going to be AWESOME!! Love Danny Trejo!

Cassie

nani said...

Great post! It's been a long time since you had an honest to goodness post! Looking forward to the mindless, brutal, violent action! Danny Trejo is perfect for this!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I do like Danny Trejo a lot. This is another one I think will be silly and you'll drag me to it and I'll end up loving it, I'm sure...

AlienCG said...

I should really see Grindhouse/Death Proof. I have to put it in my Netflix queue. This movie looks pretty wild and violent and fun. My kind of entertainment.

Sebastien Millon said...

This movie is going to be great! Danny Trejo is awesome, was just watching Desperado the other day, he is great in that as well. Can't wait to see this, Inglorious bastards, and Expendables.