Friday, May 01, 2009

An Action Fan's Wet Dream

Yesterday I briefly talked about The Expendables, a movie I am anticipating even more than movie this Summer. I told you that it doesn't come out until the end of the year, but I was actually mistaken as the release date is actually set right now as April 23, 2010 - almost a whole year! Oh well, I can keep salivating for a while. I can't remember if I have talked about this movie yet, so this will either new or an update.

So what is The Expendables? Simply put, it is the movie any person who grew up watching action movies in the 80s has waited for his whole life. It is a movie that just screams testosterone. The first thing you need to know is that it is written and directed by Stallone. That alone tells you what kind of awesomeness this movie will bring. It is supposedly about a group of mercenaries going to South America to overthrow a dictator or something. I don't know, who cares what the plot is about as long as I see lots and lots of action. So who is in it?

A visual is needed for sure....


Stallone



Jason Statham



Mickey Rourke



Jet Li



Dolph Lundgren



Danny Trejo



Steve Austin



Randy Couture



Eric Roberts



Terry Crews



and a cameo by my governor...




Jean Claude Van Damme, Kurt Russell, Sandra Bullock, Forrest Whitaker and Ben Kingsly all either turned it down or had to say no because of a scheduling conflict. Still, plenty of cool people in it already. And yes, they are filming already. Here are the first pics from the set, released a couple of weeks ago:






April 23, 2010 people! It can't come soon enough.

13 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Stallone's veiny shoulders are gross. Jason Statham is one of my boyfriends - I didn't know if you knew that. Is that a real scar on Mickey Rourke's face or is that picture from The Wrestler? Dolph looks A LOT older than he did in Rocky IV, but looks like he could still kick those robbers' asses. Danny Trejo is ALWAYS bad ass! I've always been an Austin 3:16 fan. Terry Crews looks familiar - where have I seen him? Arnold should be balancing (or creating?) a budget rather than making movies.
Cut Jean Claude some slack - he had to turn it down because he has so many other movies lined up. Ben Kingsley would be cool (which one is he - F. Murray or Ben (inside joke)?)

Sebastien Millon said...

I was a little skeptical at first, but that sounds like an awesome story! and the cast is lots of fun, Danny Trejo is one of my favorites, he is just too good and looks the part.

nani said...

That does look like it will be fun. I love Jason Statham. I wish Kurt Russell could have been in it. Oh well. Hugs.

MrManuel said...

Wife - the scar isn't real, but I don't think that is from the wrestler. You saw Terry Crews in The Longest Yard - the cheeseburger guy. Arnold can do a 1 day cameo, I have no problem with that. Your Ben Kingsly joke made me laugh out loud.

Seb - Oh, this won't be high quality stuff, just blowing shit up.

MrManuel said...

Nani - Having Kurt in it would have been awesome!

Sal said...

April 23rd? No way! That's like Warner Brothers moving the next Harry Potter film from last November to this July! What a long wait! And Kurt Russell would have been perfect for this film! Nani should be a movie producer!

Reading the plot description, I can't help but think, "Hey, what if they get to South America and complete their mission, only to find themselves stalked through the jungle and picked off one-by-one by an attacker who can turn invisible at will?" :)

So yes, I am looking forward to this movie, even if it's still almost a year away!

laura b. said...

I would be afraid that watching a movie with that much testosterone in it might actually cause me to grow testicles. Scary.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Laura - That's freaking FUNNY!

Jose said...

Oh hell yeah, I've been waiting for a movie like this, not plot and plenty of action. lol All cool stars. Terry Crews. can't forget him from "White Chicks". and Erick Roberts, what the heck happened to him, not aging gracefuly.

Anonymous said...

Let's see, they better be taking on an army bigger than we've seen before. Remember, Stallone took care of the entire Viet Cong army by himself. I am quite remiss that Chuck Norris has not been mentioned.

Churlita said...

Is that what Eric Roberts looks like now? Wow. He is really old...And that's coming from me.

Mom said...

Sandra Bullock? An action star?

MrManuel said...

Sal - Yeah, April 23rd is a long time, but I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Laura - That is too funny!!!

Jose - Hehe, I can't say I saw Terry Crews in Whit Chicks. I avoided that movie like the swine flu.

Alien - True, I wonder what happened to Chuck and if he was asked.

Churlita - It happens...

Mom - It is the Demolition Man connection.