Monday, May 04, 2009

Where are you Kenny Loggins?

A lot of times when I work, I watch movies on my throwaway laptop (It is louder than my current laptop.) One of the movies I watched today was Footloose. As I listened to the great soundtrack, a soundtrack I know I listened to over and over again as a child on my record, I started thinking about Kenny Loggins. I mean, this guy had some great songs included on soundtracks in the 80s. They were some of the most memorable soundtracks of all time. Where is he now? Last I heard, he was all about mellow, easy listening type stuff, but why can't he come back to doing some rocking songs for some current movie soundtracks? I don't think the movie soundtrack is as important nowadays. I mean, they still include songs, but I don't see single songs that truly symbolize a movie anymore. Like, you hear the song, you instantly think of the movie it came from. I want that back and I want Kenny Loggins to lead the way.


In other news, on Saturday after seeing Wolverine (review later this week hopefully), we went to a place called the Home Theater Company. I have been thinking of getting new speakers and I wanted to talk to an expert who specializes in sound rather than some guy who works in the audio department at Best Buy or something along those lines. What an eye opener it was. He told me things I thought were true that were completely wrong about sound, things that I had no idea about, and everything in between. I won't say I was overwhelmed, but it was a lot to think about. What is cool is that tomorrow, he is coming over for a free consult of what would be best for the space in the room and what options I have. That will be good to know and it will be a good starting point of what I need to do to improve my sound system from awesome to "Oh my God! That is some rockin' shit you have there!!!" Can't wait to see what he says.

12 comments:

Sebastien Millon said...

The soundtrack I've really liked was the Juno soundtrack. Lots of great music in there, and very fitting for the movie as well. I've only seen snippets of Footloose, that is a movie I've been meaning to watch forever.

Good luck with the audio system installation!

Sal said...

Nowadays it seems like they just cram a movie soundtrack full of music an affiliated record label is trying to sell. There isn't much thought involved in the process anymore. I can't think of very many recent songs that I truly associate with the movie they're in. Certainly not as much as I did when I was younger.

Katie and I watched Footloose last week, and we both immediately put the soundtrack on our respective mp3 players. Truly an '80s movie that - for us, at least - never gets old, nor does its soundtrack. Loggins was in fine form. Your post reminded us both that, on our third date, we sat in a restaurant and talked about how much we both loved Footloose. If I didn't know before that she was The One, I sure did then.

Glad to hear you're making progress in your quest for new speakers. The surround system I have is fine (for now), but the audiophile in me would love to get something that can handle higher output. All in time, I suppose. Let us know how the consult goes!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I associate that Linkin Park song What I've Done with the movie Transformers and that House of Pain song Jump Around with the movie Happy Gilmore. In fact, I call them "the Transformers song" and "the Happy Gilmore song", respectively.

I'm looking forward (although I'll never admit it again) to a sound system that will, as you say, "blow the shit off my shit."

Jose said...

Man to this day I hear a song from Saturday Night Fever and still think of the movie all over again. What a sountrack.

nani said...

I love the soundtrack from Footloose and glad to hear you still love it and the movie. We played that on tape all the way from Sacramento to Cerritos and back again when you were just a little guy.
I am very happy with the small sound I get from our new TV. I don't want to be in the movie. I just want to hear it. :-) I hope you get the sound system of your dreams though. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

There hasn't really been an original song written for a movie in quite a while (this doesn't include movie scores). I miss that.

I've never been a home audio guy, really. I have a Bose Wave in the basement.

Tara said...

I loved the "Footloose" soundtrack - probably better than the movie!

And his song "Danger Zone" from "Top Gun" is one of my favorite songs too.

Churlita said...

I love movie soundtracks. It seemed like for a while, the only people allowed to write soundtrack music were Kenny Loggins, Phil Collins and Bryan Adams. Now it seems like most soundtrack music are oldies from the 80's and 90's.

laura b. said...

One of my favorite soundtracks is the one Aimee Mann wrote...and Paul Thomas Anderson basically built his film Magnolia around them. Not as cheerful as Footloose, I admit :-)

Mom said...

Footloose does have an awesome soundtrack. I think it speaks a lot for the great music back then. You just don't get that anymore. Ah!! The good ol' days.

I think it's funny that the guy told you that what you wanted to pay was a great installment. Hopefully you'll have your sound system soon.

Kelly said...

I recently discovered my new favorite song - Supermassive Black Hole, by Muse. I am also one of those weird Twilight people. Sitting in the theatre during one of the best scenes in the movie, they started playing Supermassive Black Hole. I don't know what was better... watching the movie, or now having my new favorite song in a blockbuster! Now, everytime I hear it, I think of Twilight.

MrManuel said...

Seb - I liked Juno, but the music was just a little too happy-mellow for me.

Sal - Yup, the soundtrack being associated with the record label and such is totally what I think. Just seems more random than before.

Wife - It always makes me laugh when Jump Around comes on and you scream, "The Happy Gilmore song!"

Jose - Agreed! That IS a good soundtrack.

Nani - That must have been where it stuck with me.

Alien - I miss it too!

Tara - What? The movie equally rules!

Churlita - I see a lot of soundtracks with current crap too and it pisses me off.

Laura - I missed that one. Never got around to it.

Mom - Jess didn't think it was that funny when he said that!

Kel #2 - I have no idea what that song is.