Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Manuel on Movies #18

Here we go with some more gems...

The Hangover - Why even review this when I know everyone has to have seen it by now?  So, I won't even bother with the plot as I am sure everyone HAS seen it.   Back to the important aspect of if I liked it or now.  Meh.  I mean, the way people were talking about it, I expected it to be the funniest movie ever made.  I enjoyed it, I chuckled, and maybe laughed out loud once or twice, but I didn't find it to be the definitive end all be all of movies.  I have been accused of being a comedy snob and maybe that is so,there are a lot of movies that just don't make me laugh as they do other people.  And I wanted to like this one and didn't come in with a bad attitude.  I fully expected to laugh my ass off and that was not the case.  What are you going to do?  7 out of 10.

Repo! The Genetic Opera - If you haven't heard of this movie, I am sure you are already confused by the title alone.  This is a horror-ish musical kind of like Rocky Horror and Paris Hilton is in it.  Tuned out already?  Don't be, because it was actually pretty good.  The story revolves around a company (this is going to sound like the movie Repo Men which came out AFTER) that sells organs should one of yours (heart, lung, etc) need replacing.  However, if you can't make the payments, they send the repo men to repossess the organs by any means necessary.  The owner is trying to decide who will replace him as head of the company once he is gone.  As a story alone, it was actually pretty good and could of made a good "normal" movie.  But then you throw in the musical aspect of it and it actually makes it even more entertaining.  The songs are catchy and I could see this as a sing along movie like Rocky Horror (which I don't like by the way).  It's over the top and through the first twenty minutes, I was wondering if I would be able to finish the movie, but I stuck with it and enjoyed it quite a bit.  Seriously, if you want something way different, give it a try.  7.5 out of 10

Pride and Glory - A dirty cop movie starring Colin Farrel and Edward Norton.  You know, it was good, but it has all been done before.  They play brother-in-laws and there is a corruption scandal, blah, blah, blah.  You know, I enjoyed this movie when I saw it, especially because I like both of the actors, but it was a fairly forgettable movie once it was done.  Don't get me wrong, the performances were good and the storyline was pretty decent, but I didn't find anything special about the movie.  6.5 out of 10

Paranormal Activity - Ok, this scared the SHIT out of me.  Seriously, I have never been more scared.  It's the kind of movie that you either get freaked out at or you find not scary at all.  I fall into the category of scared shitless, having dealt with the paranormal at my parents' house when I was younger.  Yeah, there house is haunted.  So watching a realistic type movie about a couple dealing with the paranormal in their house, even though I know the movie was fake, really had an impact.  What makes this movie is how little they actually do show.  It is just the anticipation of what is going to happen that makes the creepiness so real.  And it was so good at it and yet, I don't know if I could watch this movie again.  I want to, just to take it all in one more time, but man, I don't know if I can.  But damn good.  8.5 out of 10.

The Unborn - And then you have a horror movie like this.  This sucked.  The plot revolves around a girl who is having visions and is slowly being possessed by the spirit of her brother who died in the womb and the spirit can travel and possess new bodies like in Fallen.  They want to get to the spirit out and shenanigans ensue.  It was disappointing because the trailer for this movie looked really freaky, but then again, most movies with freaky kids looks like a scary movie.  But this, despite having a few decent moments, was not good at all.  4 out of 10.

6 comments:

Mom said...

Love your review! They are always so honest.

My feelings exactly for The Hangover. I heard so, so many people absolutely saying it was a must see and it was good - I liked it - but I was like you - good...but not the best movie ever.

Pride and Glory I agree. It was an okay movie - I like the actors but blah, blah, blah.

Paranormal Activity I will never, ever see for the same reason you noted - way to close to home. Our shit is even getting weirder here. Nope - not a movie for me.

Tara said...

I felt the same way about "The Hangover". I fell for the outrageous reviews talking about how funny the movie was, and then was so disappointed.

I'm so glad I'm not alone about disliking "Rocky Horror Picture Show". I tried, but I just didn't get it.

When I went to see "Paranormal Activity", I do remember catching my breath during the scenes when we expected something to happen. I just wish I had been more spooked by the movie. I did buy the movie, and I'm sure if I'm in the right frame of mind, it'll freak me out more.

nani said...

We finally saw the Hangover after so many recommendations from people. We thought it was just OK. Like you we laughed a little but don't remember why.
Pride and Glory...yeah we saw it. I forgot we did. LOL!!
Love your reviews! Hugs, Nani

laura b. said...

Ditto again on The Hangover...it was funny, but not FUNNY.

I watched Paranormal at home with my daughter in the darkened livingroom and it was sooooo scary! Oh, I was so creeped out.

Repo! sounds interesting...and I DO like Rocky Horror, a lot :-)

Churlita said...

That's always the problem when a movie gets too much hype. It can never live up to it.

Still haven't seen Paranormal Activity. My daughter said it didn't get really scary until the end.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I too was disappointed by The Hangover. it was entertaining, don't get me wrong, but I expected it to be piss-my-pants-funny and it just wasn't.

I forgot about Repo. I gave up on it after the first 15 minutes but you stayed strong, thus I was forced to watch it. It was entertaining in a VERY weird way...

Paranormal Activity also freaked me the hell out. The part with the footprints in the powder - forget about it!