Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Tons of more reviews

I got to see 6 more movies in the last couple of weeks. A large majority of them were horror. Hmm, lots of horror movies at the end of October. Go figure....

I hadn't heard a bad thing about this movie prior to seeing it. For the most part, they were right. It was a decent little flick. It leaned more on the political thriller side than I expected which is normally just fine with me. However, I think I was more in the mood for a straight up action movie. Not that it didn't have plenty of action; I just wanted more as that is what I was in the mood for. In the end though, it was a good movie, but you have to pay attention to it a little more than just your run of the mill action film. 7 out of 10.













I love vampire films and I was not disappointed. Pretty cool concept to film a vampire film in a locale where the sun doesn't rise for 30 straight days. Kudos to the writer of the graphic novels for which the movie is based. It has some pretty gruesome kills and a really cool overhead shot of the chaos in the streets. In the end, it is just a vampire film, but when you are a big fan of this genre, you don't mind. 8 out of 10













Mindless action film. We don't get many of these nowadays. Gone are the Stallone/Schwarzenegger mindless action films of the 80s. This was a return to that type of film. The movie is about a bunch of criminals stuck on an island for a reality show and told to kill each other. The last one alive gets pardoned. Kind of hard to make this a deep film. This is just straight out action. Mindless, and yet entertaining at the same time because sometimes, you just want to be entertained and not have to think. 7 out of 10.














I liked the first Hostel, but not until I saw it a second time. I wonder if my opinion of this sequel will change if I see it again. I thought this movie was just ok. I felt there wasn't much of a story. It was just an attempt to come up with as gruesome deaths as possible while keeping some semblance of a storyline. It didn't really work. The kills were decent, but the storyline was just not doing it for me. I didn't care about any of the characters at all. Sometimes, shock is not enough to carry a movie. 5.5 out of 10.














I heard so many good things about this film and they were right. I didn't think it was a masterpiece like many say, but I enjoyed it a lot. It was very unique as it combined the ravages of war and the brutality of mankind with the innocence of a fairy tale. Often hard to watch and then pleasant minutes later, the movie sure does take you on an adventure. I won't say much more as it could give info away, but I enjoyed this movie. 8 out of 10.












I was a fan of the first 3 films in this series, but how much longer could it go on? Surprisingly, this movie still delivered and this series still has life in it. I figured this movie had to be a letdown after three movies already and with how the last film ended. This movie turned out to be the best one since the original! It had the requisite brutal kills, but I enjoyed the storyline at the same time. You need to have an accompanying storyline for the movie to matter. Take note of that, Eli Roth! 8 out of 10.

13 comments:

Tara said...

I really enjoyed "Pan's Labyrinth", it was definitely a unique movie. I'm interested to see "Saw IV" and I'm still curious about "Hostel 2". I did like the first one.

npanth said...

Dude, I'm sorry, but I scare easily, I can only watch the really formulaic horror movies. My dog already has twitchy dreams, I wouldn't want to give her a complex by watching me being chased by the Saw guy all night ;)

Churlita said...

I liked Pan's Labrynth and want to see Shooter. Of course. I'll also see any movie from a graphic novel.

Anonymous said...

We saw Shooter and enjoyed it. We saw The Condemned at your house and thought it was pretty good. You right, same type movie as Predator. Just plug in and enjoy.

Jose said...

The only movie I saw was "Pan's Labyrinth" or "El Laberinto del Fauno" as I knew it. Pretty good movie, the rest I am just not into horror movies, I do watch one occasionally but they just don't call me.

Anonymous said...

30 Days of Night got about a 60-70% on my scale (C), where I liked the monsters, I hated the acting and the predictability. But you knew that already.

#3, I just have this to say: "STONECOLD, STONECOLD, STONECOLD"

I have yet to check out Saw IV, I have to get Renee caught up with the first 3 so we can go see #4.

Randi said...

Saw was excellent. (The autopsy scene made ME squirm a little) I'm sure there are things I missed, because the plot was so complex.

Npanth, you are so nice that Jigsaw would leave you alone. :)

Anonymous said...

I can't watch horror films. I prefer to view life from a positive viewpoint and horror doesn't do it for me. Although I do like the occasional vampire or horror novel. I guess the difference is that in my own imagination I have some sort of "protection fuse" that renders my own pictures less frightening than seeing them outright on a screen. I did like Pan's Labyrinth though. That movie was kind of a political statement as well.

dmarks said...

re: Condemned. Ever see "Running Man" ?

Anonymous said...

Saw was so good. I've seen it two times already and I understood some key points a little more the second time I saw it. The story was really good.
NOTE: If any of you want to see Saw IV you should see the first three first because you need to understand the whole story!

MrManuel said...

Tara - I liked the first Hostel too. This one just didn't do it for me...

npanth - Yeah, nobody want a dog with a complex


churlita - Yeah, they make good movies.

nani - That is all you need sometimes


Jose - They are not for everybody for sure


Evil E - Love the JR quote!

Randi - That autopsy scene was awesome!


Sonja - I wanth them for the adrenaline


dmarks - One of his best movies!


Cassie - you were confused the 1st time! LOL

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Liked Pan's Labrynth, and Shooter..
Haven't seen Saw3 yet.. it was rented and we never watched it.. I will rent it again though..

Michelle said...

Mark Wahlberg is my husband. I give him 10 out of 10. And I can't watch those gory movies.