Friday, April 11, 2008

Random bits of information

A little bit of this and that. This week was an exciting week for soccer and it keeps getting better. As a little background, in Europe, there is a championship every year to determine the best club team in the continent in soccer. It is kind of complicated, but each country in Europe gets a certain number of teams that can enter the tournament. They have group stages, knockout stages, etc. A few months ago, Rich and I made a bet on who's team would make it farther in the tournament. My team is of course, Manchester United. His team is Liverpool. We started out as a $20 bet. Pretty simple and standard. Our teams kept advancing and last week was the quarterfinals. Our bet had increased all the way up to $50. This past week, both of our teams advanced to the semi finals. Our bet has now increased to $75 and if we should both advance to the finals, we have a $100 bet on the game. After all the trash talking we have done over the last couple of months, it is amazing that we are only a couple of weeks away from possibly both being the finals. What a game that would end up being to watch with each other!


One of the funniest things I had ever heard happened at a party last weekend. I have a friend, PJ, who is nearly deaf. I have another friend, Corey, who likes to drink a lot. Last weekend at a party, Corey introduced PJ to another party goer. He said in his drunken slur, "This is my friend PJ. YOU HAVE TO TALK REALLY LOUD!!!" Funniest, inappropriate thing I had heard in a while.

I am away right now in the Bay Area for Jessica's mom's 50th birthday. Should be a blast tomorrow!

I bought a new laptop yesterday. For once, I bought an electronic gadget and I wasn't super excited for it. Truth is my old laptop has had issues with the power cord and plugging it in for a long time now. I have sent it away before, but it is doing the same shit again and I am done pouring money into it. It is pretty "sharp" looking so I will get some pictures of it probably on Monday when I return.

Have a good weekend everyone!

6 comments:

npanth said...

I used to get excited about a new computer, but it's become so blaise in the last couple years. Still, a new computer is pretty cool. Have fun with the new "business tool"
lol

Anonymous said...

ahh, good use of the upcoming word...pretty sharp of you

You might just win your bet. The very little I know about international football is that Manchester is quite the powerhouse. With the lck you've had in poker maybe you can use a little of that in the bet!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I had some issues awhile ago with my laptop.. Big Hairy Man tripped over the power cord and broke the innards of where the it attaches inside.. I finally had it fixed.. took two weeks.. But now I'm in the market for a new one and give this one to MPR... Have fun at the party....

dmarks said...

I prefer the name "soccer" because with it there is no confusion. There are already a bunch of types of football in the world, either known or played by different countries, enough to make them international. Wikipedia lists Australian football, association football (soccer), rugby league, and rugby union, and gridiron/American football.

Yes, Manchester is indeed a famous association football team. It is the only one I can name at the moment.

Churlita said...

I would get really excited about a laptop. I just have a regular computer, but I'd love to have one to take on our trip with us.

Mom said...

Soccer, laptops - exciting! But I want to hear PJ's reaction to Corey's statement. Now that would be funny. Knowing them both it must have really been funny! Good luck on your bet!