Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Respecting a Legend

I don't really watch wrestling anymore, but I kind of keep track of what is going on. Sunday night was the final match for a legend in the "sport." Ric Flair, 59 years old, finally retied from pro wrestling. I didn't get to see his last match as I wasn't going to pay the money for the PPV, but I did get to watch his farewell speech and tribute from Monday night on YouTube this morning. It was a very emotional event. He is easily in the top 2 of most important people in wrestling history along with Hulk Hogan. I was never a huge Flair fan, but I respected him for his longetivity and importance to wrestling. I am sure he will still show up on tv in some capacity on the WWE, but as far as the ring goes, he is done. 26 years of wrestling on his 59 year old body had to have taken a toll. Good luck Ric and congratulations.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw his last match. It was such an emotional moment. I'll be honest, it was like seeing somebody die in the ring. Nobody has been at the top for as long as he has, and he is truly a legend.

Churlita said...

he does look amazing for his age. I've always been an Andre the Giant fan (god rest his soul). I'm old school like that.

PurpleOceanMoon said...

Wow! I didn't even know he was still wrestling! That is awesome!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I was never a Ric Flair fan, but you gotta respect him for doing such a physically challenging job for so long.

On a side note, I always thought Ric Flair sounded drunk when he talked... Maybe too many blows to the head?

Anonymous said...

He'll be back again. These guys never actually go away or retire. Me and the Alien thought about the pay per view as well. We both thought..."why pay"

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember a few years ago when he came back. I was playing a game online and mentioned seeing him... all I heard for a minute afterword was a bunch of grown men going "wooooooo". I laughed my butt off.

I saw Ric in the Atlanta airport once, running to catch a plane. TV does not do athletes justice. He seems short and just big on TV, but he is fairly tall and just seemed huge.

I do not watch wrestling anymore and imagine it will never again have the fun and characters which made it great in the late 80s and early 90s.

Long live Thunderlips....!!!

Mom said...

Wow, you scared me there for a minute. I saw his picture and my first thought was that he had died. He was always a fun one to watch. I'll have to see if I can find his farewell speech.

dmarks said...

I'm with Churlita. I never got into the wrestling part of it, but Andre the Giant's personal story as interesting,

Jose said...

Damn, that's stamina and heart. I remember the days of "Lucha libre" at the Olympic Auditorium in Los Angeles. I never went considering I used to live 5 minutes away from it, but they used to televise the matches on TV. I remember wrestlers like Chavo Guerreo, John Tolos, Andre the Giant, and so many more. All fun to watch, weather wrestling is real or not.

HappyFlapjacks said...

"In order to be the man, you've gotta beat the man. And BABY!...I AM THE MAN...WOOOOOOOOOOOO!"