Wednesday, January 07, 2009

As long as it doesn't come in threes....

Today is quite possibly, the worst day of my life. Two bombshells were dropped today. First, I took my dog, Orko, to the vet today because he had a lump. As it turns out, the vet thinks it is a tumor and needs to be taken care of sooner rather than later. He said because of the location, size, and sudden onset, it will have to be done by a specialty surgery center. I called and for a rough estimate, it looks like everything might cost us around 3 grand. We might still go in for a consult, but it doesn't look good for our boy.

Not an hour after finding this out, we got results that we were dreading. As readers of this blog know, Jess and I have struggled with infertility for many years now. Well, surprise, surprise, Jess took a pregnancy test on Monday and she was pregnant. The blood work on Monday afternoon confirmed it. But, because of some slight bleeding, we were carefully optimistic as she might have been having some trouble. The only way to find out was to take a test 48 hours later and see if her numbers were going up or going down. Down, was of course, a bad thing.

Scared, but hopeful, we have spent the last 2 days as a couple who were expecting. We talked to it. We touched it. We gave it kisses, all the while telling it to not leave us and promising that we would be wonderful parents if he/she just stuck around.

A while ago, still reeling from the news of our dog, we found out that Jessica's numbers were in fact going down and had suffered a miscarriage. After trying for this long and to have our hopes that high, this is devastating. Words can't really describe what we are going through right now. We had an absolutely horrible 2008 for all intents and purposes and had hopes that 2009 would be so much better. On Jan 5th, we were on cloud 9. Today, January 7th, we see that the year we had last year is just continuing...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh darlings...I am so sorry. I cannot for the life of me understand how two such sweet, loving people cannot have a baby when so many horrible idiots out there have them and abuse them. Life is NOT fair!! You have too much on your plates right now. I weep!! Hang in there sweethearts. I am praying for you both. I'm so sorry about Orko too. I love you. Hugs.

laura b. said...

Oh, I am so, so sorry. You two will be wonderful parents in some way someday.
I'm sorry too about your pup. You have had a rough start to this year, but please try and keep hoping for the best. You both deserve it.

Jose said...

Man, I concur with Nani and Laura. If it's not meant to be, it's not meant to be but when it happens you'll both be the best. Hang in there and don't lose faith.

Anonymous said...

We can't even imagine how traumatic this double-blow has been for you both. We believe that, although it is absolutely devastating, somehow things will work out. You deserve all the happiness in the world.

Sal and Katie

goooooood girl said...

your blog is very good......

Anonymous said...

OMG! I'm soooo sorry, Manuel and Jessica! How absolutely awful!

We'll all keep praying. Hopefully, this year will be better, even though it isn't starting out well at all.

Seth and I love you both so very much! Please give each other and Orko a hug from us. Leia, too.

Love, Allison

Churlita said...

I'm so sorry. I hope the rest of the year gets better and better.

Mom said...

I Love you!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

That is so sad to hear.. I'm very sorry for your loss.. We all know that you guys will make awesome parents one day.. There is still hope for it to happen.. sorry to hear about Orko too..

Tara said...

I am so sorry for both of you, I can't imagine how disappointed and overwhelmed you must feel.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry for this you two. Please let us know if there is any thing we can do. Nikki and I are great and listening and would be willing to be a friendly ear---if you so wish.

Take Care

Jeff

Anonymous said...

I am very sorry. I would like to express my deepest sorrows and may your year improve with each passing day.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss.