Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Burgers and Bigots

So, with 2009 officially underway, the contest for the burgers and ice cream guesses has now officially started. Thanks to all of you who made guesses and let the best person win. As promised, every burger or ice cream eaten will show up on this blog. So, 6 days in, how am I doing?

Below was my first burger of the year - a burger I actually did on the BBQ myself on Jan 1st. It was actually friggin' delicious as I can make a pretty damn good burger despite what Kelly #2 might tell you. I have a few more ideas for a BBQ burger so I am pretty excited to do it again soon!




This was the second burger I had this year, a burger from Chili's on Sunday afternoon. Yes, those ARE pieces of bacon coming off the side of it. They were the thickest pieces of bacon I have ever had and boy were they delicious! It also had some yummy onion strings on top. I had a lot of this burger, but I could not finish it. Oh well...








Finally, Jess is now underway in her ice cream total. Sunday night, I went and bought her her favorite, a Blizzard from Dairy Queen. She looks so happy!!!




So....on to a story I heard first on the radio about a month ago and since then, have seen all over the internet and the like. I am sure you have all heard the story by now, but if not, here is one of the many articles on it, this one from USA Today.com

It's not every day that a supermarket's refusal to print a child's name on a cake makes national news. Then again, it's not every day that we come across a 3-year-old named Adolf Hitler Campbell.

The Express-Times explains:
Karen Meleta, a ShopRite spokeswoman, said the grocer tries to meet customer requests but rejects those deemed inappropriate. "We believe the request to inscribe a birthday wish to Adolf Hitler is inappropriate," she said.
The grocer offered to make a cake with enough room for the Campbells to write their own inscription. But the Campbells refused, saying they would have a cake made at the Wal-Mart in Lower Nazareth Township. The Campbells say Wal-Mart made cakes for Adolf's first two birthdays.
A spokeswoman for Wal-Mart said the store won't put anything illegal or profane on a cake but thinks it's important to respect the views of customers and employees. "Our No. 1 priority in decorating cakes is to serve the customer to the best of our ability," Anna Taylor, the spokeswoman, said from Bentonville, Ark.


Young Adolf has two younger sisters. JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell will be two in February, while an infant named after Heinrich Himmler turns 1 in April, according to the paper, which says they live in a house decorated with swastikas and other Nazi paraphernalia.

So yes, you heard it right, the boy's name is Adolf Hitler. The sister is named Aryan Nation. I read another article later in which the father said people need to get over it and it is just a name. I believe he said something along the lines of, "I named him that because I knew he would have a unique name."

Gee, you think? The amount of looks this child and his siblings will be getting for the rest of their lives has to be considered some sort of child abuse in my opinion. What disturbs me is that growing up in this household makes me think he will be raised with some rather horrible view points and he might be taught to be proud of his name. Sure, a name is just a name, but I think this is just distasteful to the highest degree. It sickens me.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, the more I think about it, the more reasonable it seems to make potential parents pass a competency test (or be licensed) before they can spawn. Unfortunately such a law would be logistically impossible, and kids like these will suffer for it in the long run.

On a positive note, those burgers (especially the one you barbecued) look phenomenal. Glad to see you've hit the ground running!

-Sal

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Yeah, those parents are wrong to do that to their kids. Sure, it's just a name, but there is a whole negative history attached to it. It's the same as naming your kid Saddam Hussein Jones or Osama Bin Laden Smith or Lee Harvey Oswald Johnson or George W. Bush Stephens (he he, little dig there!) In all seriousness though, I do hope those kids change their names when they're old enough, assuming they haven't been brainwashed into thinking Hitler was a good person.

Manuel's burgers: 2
Jessica's ice cream: 1
This will be fun!

Tara said...

That first burger looks so delicious. I love it when they're sloppy and cheesy like that.

Anonymous said...

Oh Yum! You two know how to eat. I agree that family is twisted. I takes all kinds I guess. Those poor kids.

Jose said...

Darn, no wonder you like hamburgers. My hamburegers don't even look close to the ones you have in your pictures.

Jose said...

Oh and by the way, there are MORONS in this world that just have no clue.

Churlita said...

I've heard that story and it made me feel so bad for those kids. Just think of all the jobs Adolph Hitler won't get because of his name. nothing like setting your kids up to fail.

But those burgers? Mmmm.

laura b. said...

You're burger and ice cream pictures are totally making me hungry. I'm sort of taking it easy on the meat, but those burgers look amazing :-)

As for those children, my hope for them would be that they grow up as unscarred as possible (if at all possible), go out in the world and learn more humane values, and change their names as soon as it becomes legally possible for them.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

First off the burgers look delicious.. and I'm not sure if I could finish either of them.. Secondly the family with kids with inapproariate names need to get a life.. why on earth would anyone name their child after someone that is evil.. Afterall its only a name according to their Father.. who in my mind is ignorant and disrespectful.. I feel bad for those kids.. But again when they are old enough they might change it to something normal.. How about naming them after a fruit.. Kiwi and Pomegrante sounds good to me..