Monday, January 19, 2009

Updates Galore

A lot to catch up on....

First, Jess and I have pretty much recovered from the miscarriage we had. In the end, we thought we never would get pregnant so really, we are really no worse off than we were before. I guess it does give us some hope, but we are still not holding our breath.

On the other hand, Orko's lump is almost gone now. The vet thought it was cancer and the dog oncologist was not certain and would require $700 worth of tests just to find out. We opted out of doing that because of his age. Since then, his lump, which at first was getting noticeably bigger, is now almost completely gone. He has also been rejuvinated and as back to his playful self. We hope all these signs are good signs.

Yesterday we held a birthday party for Jessica's stepmom. As reaching 60 is not a certainty, we held a giant 59th birthday party for her. It was a wonderful time with a ton of people and the amount of love and support shown by everyone was amazing. It was truly an amazing time and everything seemed to run flawlessly.

Tomorrow is the day of truth though as we get the results of her CT scan from last week. She has completed her 9 weeks of chemo and now the CT scan will show if it has done any good. So based on tomorrow's results, she decides her next course of action. If the tumor is still growing, well then, I have a feeling she is done with treatment. If it is around the same size, I have no idea what she will do. If it is shrinking, then I would hope she continues the treatment. The chemo seems to have been really hard on her so I have no idea what she will decide. All we can do is hope for good news tomorrow.

I visited the neurologist last week and talked with him for quite a while. He performed a bunch of tests on me and asked me a lot of questions. He was not quite sure why I was getting headaches. He sounded suspicious of migraines, but he is going to have me do an MRI on my head to rule out anything bad. He is also doing a dopplar test, like an ultrasound, on my neck to see my carotid artery and make sure I don't have something called carotid dissection, or a small tear in my carotid artery that can cause headaches and eventually stroke. So, hopefully everything comes back normal and I just have developed migraines. We shall see.

9 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Recovered, yes, but still it was SOOO mean to be teased...

Orko is a good boy for getting better (or what I assume is better...)

The party was amazing - excellent food and, like you mentioned, fantastic amounts of love and support.

As nervous as I am for the results of the CT scan tomorrow, I'm sure it doesn't even compare to what Fran is going through.

I'm glad you liked the neurologist and feel comfortable with him. I'm glad he's running tests to make 110% sure you are healthy. I think, with everything going on in our lives, it's probably just stress, but it's always best to make sure.

Anonymous said...

If it's meant to be, it will happen. I know it's of little comfort to you.

I do hope the CT scan result come back with good news.

I agree with Jess, you've been through a lot of stressful situations lately. You need a break and you'll feel better.

I hope things get better for everybody.

Anonymous said...

We're glad you guys have recovered, and very glad that the party went well. Our thoughts are with you guys and with Fran tomorrow (and always). We hope Manuel's headaches are just stress, and that in the future you both have much less cause for stress.

-Sal and Katie

P.S. Thanks again!

Jose said...

Thanks for the updates, glad to hear about Orko, and as far as you and Jess keep trying and praying who knows one day it will happen. Don't lose hope. Hope you feel better.

Anonymous said...

Oh what a relief that Orko's lump is going away! Weird thing to happen to him.
Migraines run in our family. I hope it is nothing more.
Keeping hope alive for your miracle someday.
Thinking and praynig for Fran.
Hugs

Churlita said...

If it is migraines, then there are some drugs that may help you.

I'm glad you guys are healing from everything. You two are so strong.

laura b. said...

Gosh, you and your family have so much going on. I'm glad you were able to have that awesome party and all be together.
Let us know what happens with everything, please.

Mom said...

These have definitely been crazy times. I'm glad for Orko and hopes it continues to go away. Fran - well the party was awesome but now we know the results and I'm mixed in my feelings. You take care of yourself and Jess. I'm glad you are under doctor's care as well. Love you guys!

Mom said...

These have definitely been crazy times. I'm glad for Orko and hopes it continues to go away. Fran - well the party was awesome but now we know the results and I'm mixed in my feelings. You take care of yourself and Jess. I'm glad you are under doctor's care as well. Love you guys!