Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Oscar Nominations

Every year Manuel and I make it a point to see all the movies nominated for Best Picture. This year the 5 films are:

Brokeback Mountain
Capote
Crash
Good Night and Good Luck
Munich

What follows is my opinion/thoughts on the nominated films...

Brokeback Mountain - I really haven't heard a bad thing about this movie. Fran told me it was just a good love story. I'm actually looking forward to seeing it. And yes, I will take Manuel and yes, he will be one of the only straight men in the theater!

Capote - I'm not even sure who Truman Capote is/was. Hell, I obviously don't even know if he is alive or dead! Seriously though, I know he was an author, but beyond that, I don't know, nor do I care. I am not at all interested in seeing this movie.

Crash - We Netflicked this movie a while ago. Manuel fell asleep (not because it was terribly boring, but because he was terribly tired.) I thought it was ok. It wasn't fantastic. In fact, I was surprised that it was nominated for Best Picture. Usually I can watch a movie and have an idea that maybe it's an Oscar caliber film, and I got no such feeling while watching Crash.

Good Night and Good Luck - Just like Capote, no interest. And, just like Truman Capote, I'm not really sure who Edward R. Murrow is/was. Again, alive or dead? Did I even spell his name correctly?

Munich - I detest Steven Spielberg. I think he is self-righteous with a holier than thou attitude. Research what he said about Life Is Beautiful, and you will understand where my hatred comes from. Anyway, as much as I dislike him, I generally like his movies, so I'm curious what Munich has in store (besides being the usual, epic length preachy story.)

Usually Manuel and I do pretty well in guessing the 5 nominees. This year, not so much. In fact, I had no clue what to expect for Best Picture besides Brokeback Mountain. Manuel said he had it narrowed down to 10 movies.

So as we see them, I'll keep you updated. Manuel and I love the Oscars, so this is a very exciting time for us!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never missed an Academy Awards show since I was a small child. Possibly, have seen every one since Mom and Dad always had it on. I love it even when they are long and laborious I watch every minute.
Skip and I have seen Crash and I thought it was an excellent movie. I had it pegged for Oscar worthy. We'll see the others when they are available on DVD. I know who Truman Copote and Edward R Murrow are. I'm looking forward to seeing Brokeback but am in no hurry. I can wait for the DVD. Smiles

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Nani, enlighten us who are not a worldly as yourself. Who ARE Truman Capote and Edward R. Murrow, and are they still alive?

Anonymous said...

Both dead. Edward R Murrow was a newsman, and Capote was an author. Most noted for In Cold Blood. Movie was made with Robert Blake in the 60's based on a true story.

Anonymous said...

I really want to see Brokeback Mountain not only because I heard it's an excellent movie from one of my guy friends at school,but also because Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhal(I don't know how to spell it) are so hot. I want to see crash also. And I'm rootin for Reese to win Best Actress.

Anonymous said...

I was surprised at the nominations. I'm a big Oscar fan as well - it is definitely in the family. I just don't always go see all the nominated movies prior to the Oscars. I see the nominations as they are being announced - that is always fun. That is a tradition Manuel and I started watching. Hopefully, son, you've kept that up. I really want to see Brokeback Mountain as well. I've heard good things about Munich. The others - ??? Sorry you have to work that evening Jess!

Anonymous said...

Ok finally looked at the sight. I know who Capote and Edward R Murrow are. Did either of you see In Cold Blood? It is a wonderful/horrible movie that I no longer can watch when it is on TV. Looking forward to all except Munich which will be long even if not boring.
Stepmonster