Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Top Five Tuesday #17

I haven't done a Top 5 Tuesday since September! Jess and I are sitting here watching Enemy of the State since we hadn't seen it in a while and it made me think of other Will Smith movies I like. It's pretty timely too as "I am Legend" comes out next week. I am excited about it since I LOVE the story it is based on. I know they are going to change some parts, and I even see some parts that are different in the trailer, but I will enjoy it for what it is - a movie loosely based on a story I love.

With that being said, here are my favorite Will Smith films...

#5 - Enemy of the State - A fun film that deals with the government watching over our lives and the issues with privacy. Well, that is the undertone of the film, but it is really just another kickass action film by Tony Scott, who has made other great films like Top Gun, Deja Vu, Man on Fire, and one of my personal favorites, The Last Boyscout. This movie pretty much never stops from the first scene.













#4 - Men in Black - The first time I saw this, it was really one of the funniest movies I had ever seen. The banter between Smith and Jones is priceless and the humor is just hysterical. It is just too bad that the legacy of this film had to be ruined by a subpar sequel.














#3 - Bad Boys - This was the first movie I saw Will Smith in post Fresh Prince of Bel Air days. I had a hard time thinking he could be an action star, but this movie convinced me otherwise. The way that Smith and Lawrence interact is amazing and they really play off each other well. To top it off, it is an awesome action film, but what else do you expect from Michael Bay?














#2 - Bad Boys II - I was hesitant about this movie because I liked the first so much, and when I saw this sequel for the first time, I wasn't quite sure what to think. I mean, I liked it, but was it better? After repeated viewings of both, I actually like the sequel better simply because the action is that much better. Sure, it is a little over the top, but I think that is what makes it so enjoyable. The scene where dead bodies are falling out of a van during a chase scene - priceless!












#1 - Independence Day - Summer blockbuster film at its finest. The acting isn't very good, the storyline is cheesy and silly, but damnit, it keeps me hooked for 2 and a half hours of mindless entertainment. Even sitting here thinking about it, I am amazed at just how silly some scenes are, but it does what it is supposed to do - amaze me with special effects, big explosions, and wow moments!


So what is your favorite Will Smith Film?

10 comments:

laura b. said...

I like Will Smith too. I think one of my favorites might be a non-action film called The Pursuit of Happyness. He did such a good job in it.
I think I Am Legend will be excellent. It is bound to be pretty different from Omega Man.

Anonymous said...

Have you ever seen Ali? That movie was really good. I thought that was Smith's best acting in any movie he was in.

Jose said...

I must agree, Will smith is just a kick ass actor, he is silly enough to be funny and can also play those though roles as in Independence Day. My favorite Will Smith movies are Independence Day of course and I-Robot.

Tara said...

"Men in Black" was my favorite. The sequel makes me cringe, but the first one was great. I also liked him in "Hitch" and "The Pursuit of Happyness".

Churlita said...

I liked Pursuit of Happyness too. It wasn't an action film, but the story was pretty compelling.

Anonymous said...

I loved Independence Day! We still watch it from time to time and another favorite is Men In Black. Will Smith is a very charismatic actor. I think I Am Legent will be a good movie.

Anonymous said...

My fav is the first "Men in Black". Will you go to see "I Am Legend"?

dmarks said...

I really didn't like "Men in Black" when I first saw it. But on second viewing, it became one of my favorite movies... a "Ghostbusters" of a later era.

MrManuel said...

Laura - I never saw Pursuit of Happyness because everyone I know, women who were really looking forward to a sappy tearjerker, said it was overrrated. I ended up skipping it..

Evil - Never got around to seeing Ali. Seen bit and pieces and can see how he did a good job.

Jose - I Robot is pretty good. It just missed my top 5.

Tara - Never saw Hicth. Heard it was cute though...

Churlita - It doesn't have to be action to be good, I just heard it was overrrated.

Nani - I hope you are right!

Dmarks - Like Ghostbusters...good analogy.

npanth said...

I like Wil Smith, too. He brings a good mix of comedy and action to all his roles. seems like most of his movies have been meant to be action fluff, but he still pulls it off.