Monday, December 17, 2007

When it counts...

As I have been talking about on my blog, I have been struggling at poker lately. In fact, I hadn't won a tournament in over 5 months! Losing time after time like that is not something I am used to. We play every 2 weeks at my house and have a fairly big game (10-16 players each game). Each game is its own seperate tournament, but we also put in some extra money for the player of the year tournament and earn points each game based on how we do. These points earn us chips for the player of the year tournament. Somehow, I have been able to win the player of the year the last 2 years. Going into this year's player of the year tournament though, I was not big on confidence based on the current losing streak.

Somehow, I was able to pull out the victory on Saturday. With 16 of us playing, I knew it would take nothing short of a miracle to win. I thought about changing the way I had been playing because what I was doing obviously hadn't worked for the last 5 months. It worked the previous 2 years, but the well had run dry. After thinking about it though, I remembered that my losing streak was due more to the extremely bad luck I had been getting and not the poor play. I decided to stick it out and play the same way.

A couple of people took huge chips leads in the tournament, but I played my game and never really wavered far from the amount of chips I started with. Suddenly, about 4 hours after we started, it was down to just me and my opponent. Even then, my back was up against the wall as he had around 13,000 chips to my 2,000. I didn't panic though, and about 15 minutes later, I was able to take the lead and eventually the win. I won almost $300 for 1st place, but it really wasn't about the money at all. What made me happy is that after struggling for so long, I was able to still rise to the occasion when the championship was on the line. I was able to earn player of the year for the third year in a row. I was able to prove to myself and everyone else that I can play. This third championship is extra sweet!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Halftime adjustments are the key to victory no matter what game it is. You decided to adjust by not adjusting and it paid off (literally).

I sort of knew of this by the MySpace name and photo...sneak previews are always a good thing.

One more player of the year and you become a dynasty.

Anonymous said...

I know nothing about playing poker but somehow I knew you would make a triumphant comeback when it counted. Congratulations! Well done! All is right with the world once again.
Hugs.

dmarks said...

I just saw the new graphics. Wolverine. Always cool.

I've played poker just a few times, and the last was probably 20 years ago. My father, however, loved it, and had a group of friends he played with.

Unknown said...

wow i had no idea you were so into poker. i've started playing recently and i've only been in games with up to 9 people, but i'm slowly sharpening my skills. i've finally got the 'how to play' thing down, now i need to work on bluffing. ;) any tips?

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I am proud of you, sweetie. I know how disappointed you've been after each poker game for the last 5 months, so to finally win one, and to win the one that REALLY matters, is very cool. Congratulations, my three-peater!

Churlita said...

Awesome. I'm sure you didn't mind the money though, right?

npanth said...

Three-pete? Sweet. you're getting into Lance Armstrong, dynasty territory. watch out for the paparazzi and doping scandals ;)

laura b. said...

Ah, the sweet nectar of success! You pulled it out when it counted...way to go!

MrManuel said...

Evil - I hope that dynasty comes true!

Nani - Yup, good to get all back on track!

Dmarks - It is a great get together activity!

BB - Bluffing is overated!

Mrs - And you didn't think I would win...

Churlita - Well, $300 bucks is never bad...

NP - I hope cola is performing enhancing!

Laura - I guess that is what is important!