Monday, October 13, 2008

Really, what is the point?

I have struggled with weight all my life. That is a fact. There were brief times here and there where I was ok with my weight, but they are few and far between. Recently, after being outright disgusted with my weight, I made a conscious effort to lose weight. Before my trip, to DC, I was down a little over 16 pounds. I gained a bunch while on vacation, but I know I will get it back off eventually. But basically, I am doing it for my health. I know my weight is not healthy and my eating lifestyle could eventually kill me. But is it really worth it?

I ask this question based on a bomshell just dropped on Jess and I. Jessica's stepmom was just diagnosed with metastatic cancer. It is in four of her organs. She really is the definition of health and a healthy lifestyle. She exercises almost daily, she doesn't smoke, rarely drinks, keeps a healthy weight, and eats really well. We have always said that she is one person that we could see living to 100 years old. Now, out of seemingly nowhere, she has cancer. She chose to live this super healthy lifestyle and where did that get her. No matter how you live, something like this could pop up from nowwhere. Now, we just found out about this and we don't know how bad it really is or have any kind of time frame, but the initial doctor said it was about an 8 on a scale of 1 to 10.

So really, what incentive do I have to lose weight? I won't stop trying to lose, but it really put things into perspective. I could lose a bunch of weight and then just drop from an aneurysm. I could become buff and then get hit by a car. It makes you wonder...

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've noticed that I have so much more energy now I walk a mile everyday. (Thinking about upping it to 2 miles in two weeks.)

I'm down from 270 to 240 in five months. OK, so I didn't do it quickly, had a few slip ups, but I kept at it!

Forget doing it just for health reasons, or to look good.

It's worth all the hard work just for boost in energy.

You can do it!

laura b. said...

Oh gosh, I am so sorry to hear this news. Being reminded of how randomly things can befall any of us is frightening, to say the least.

You should do whatever feels best for you. Living healthy isn't a guarantee, but I do think it stacks the odds in your favor.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I've always said Fran would live to a ripe old age. And hopefully she still will. One thing I've learned though, healthy or not, life is unfair.

Tara said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jessica's stepmom. I do hope things can be done to help her recover.

Sometimes I stop to think of the point of it all too, when I'm exercising. I hear about people who never exercised and ate anything they wanted and lived till beyond 100. Maybe that is the key. But I do love the euphoric feeling of a good exercise.

Anonymous said...

The only incentive I could give you is to do it for yourself. Anything can happen at any time, but it's uncertain.

I'm sorry to hear about Jessica's stepmom, but she will get through this.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Fran's illness. No one is born with a lifespan guarantee. All any of us can do is live as well as we can and enjoy the time and the people we have while we can. Hugs

Jose said...

What destiny may have in store for your could be totally different. I guess the point is that if you maintain a good diet and live healthy at least you are doing your part.

Jose said...

Oh, sorry to hear about your relative.

Churlita said...

I'm sorry to hear about Jess' step-mom. I hope she beats it.

My mom died of a stroke at 43, so I've had that hanging over my head since I was 10. I run all the time because I love it and because it makes me feel better emotionally, mentally and physically every day. If you look at being healthy as something you do to make your life better while you're here, than as a way to keep you alive longer, it might make more sense to you.

And I'm right there with you about how unfair life can be sometimes.

Mom said...

Bombshell it was! Surprisingly, I decided yesterday for sure that I was going to make a conscious effort to get back to a healthy weight and start exercising again. I'm doing it for me and for how I want to feel about myself and nothing more. I could get hit by a truck tomorrow and that's my fate. I know what you are feeling son, but don't let this get you. Fran is healthy and maybe because of this she will beat this hands down. It could be different if she didn't take care of herself. The best thing is that she has you guys, and us, and all her family and friends rooting for her, praying for her, and we'll all be there with her - as healthy as we can!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

That is sad to hear.. Hopefully she will recover.. I have always thought that if I lost a pile of weight and looked good it was for myself.. Then I too was reminded of how people can just die suddenly whether they either lived a healthy life or not..

I wish much success in your weight loss ..

Unknown said...

Feel good......