Thursday, October 09, 2008

Washington DC Day 6

Today was QUITE an early day. So early in fact that we had to take a taxi to the metro station as the shuttle doesn't start at the hotel until 7:00am. Getting up at 5:15am is some dedication. We heard it might rain today so we took jackets, and well, it ended up being the hottest day of our trip so far. Go figure. Very few pictures today as the places we went didn't allow photography.

Anyways, this morning we started off with a tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing. This is one of 3 places where all the cash in the US is made. This does not include coins. This basically was just a print shop if you think about it. We saw a bunch of machines and well, they printed money, cut money, bundled money, etc. It was torture to see so much money just sitting there. One of the workers teased us with the stacks of money by fanning it and gesturing us to come get it. Of course, he also had a sign above him that said, "You think you have it rough, I just printed my life's income in one minute." That made me laugh. It was a pretty interesting tour, but it felt short and rushed. Still, there is only so much you can say about printing machines.



From there, we went to the office of our congressman to drop off our bag and jackets as we had a White House tour and cameras were not allowed. From there, it was off to the White House. That was not what we expected. Basically, we were all a herd of cattle going from room to room in a straight line. When we entered, we were given a brochure and then we just followed the line. We went from room to room on the bottom floor of the White House, reading along in our brochure to see the short history of the rooms. I thought that the tour would have been a guided tour with a tour guide telling is different facts and things abut each room. No, it was all self guided. I guess I shouldn't be disappointed as I can now say I have been in the White House and how many people can say that? Still, I wish it would have been slightly different.

We returned to get our bag and jackets and as we were leaving the building, we noticed this commemorative wall of all the soldiers who have died so far in the current war. We were able to find a former classmate of my sister so I thought I would take a picture in case she wanted to see it.

As we were exhausted and knew we were going to have a late night, we ended up going back to the hotel to rest for a couple of hours. We have hit pretty much everything we wanted to see so we didn't mind relxing for a couple of hours. Tonight, Jess and I went back into DC to a brewery, Gordon Biersch, to meet a couple of the guys that I play video games with in my OTD clan. It was really cool to meet them and Jess and I had an awesome time. They were all so funny and it didn't feel awkward at all, like I have known them for a long time. Well, a couple of them, I have been playing video games with for almost 2 years now, but it is always so different to actually meet a person rather than hearing their voice on a mic. But again, it was a great time, there was a lot of teasing amongst each other going on, and really, it just felt like a reunion of old college buddies or something along those lines. We didn't take our camera as we didn't feel like carrying it around, but one of the other guys had a camera and I will get the pictures and post them here as soon as he posts them on our clan message board. And believe me, he will be posting them. After they ordered beer and I ordered a Shirley Temple, the camera was brought right out. They couldn't resist showing that picture to everyone to show just how manly I am.

Tomorrow, is our final day. Boo!

8 comments:

Jose said...

Already! Darn, that was too fast.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Time on a vacation is alwasy so short.. you have seen and done all. Glad you guys have had a great time..

Anonymous said...

You've seen and done a lot. A very good and informative vacation. Hugs.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Yesterday was indeed a fun day. The OTD guys were cool, cool, cool. I enjoyed talking with them and listening to the teasing and the stories. You're right, it wasn't weird at all, even for me, who doesn't know them except for their names.

All of the walking I think finally caught up to us (me, mostly) and I thank you still for letting us come back for a rest. I think the late night we ended up having was made possible by that.

Mom said...

Hey there - you guys have done so much in your week. What a wonderful vacation. Sorry again about the late night call guys. Cassie and I just wanted to share the excitement of NKOTB. What a show - wish you were with us Jessica.

Anyway, time to go to work - your dogs are fine and missing you I'm sure. It's going to be such a cool reunion.

By the way - I can hardly wait for you to see our new Media Room. It's awesome! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for taking the picture of Tim's name for me. He was a really good friend to a lot of people and it was hard on all of us.
I'm glad you guys have had a good vacation.
Like mom said, sorry about the late night phone calls, but NKOTB was so freaking awesome we had to share with you!
Love you guys and can't wait for you to come home!

Cassie

Churlita said...

So cool. I love it that your gaming friends were so great and that you're comfortable enough with your masculinity to order a Shirley Temple in front of them.

laura b. said...

Another fun day! You two know how to do it up right. And I love hearing about online friends meeting in person. It really is like you already know them :-)
By the way, Shirley Temples are da greatest.