Friday, October 01, 2010

Rock Band 3 Countdown #31 - Space Oddity

So we will start at #31 and work our way down to #1.  If you have no idea what I am talking about, read the previous post about the blog direction this month.  #31 is the awesome "Space Oddity" by David Bowie.  Admittingly, I know very little David Bowie/Ziggy Stardust/whatever he is calling himself songs besides the obvious well-known ones.  I think that has to be with being a child of the 80s and a lot of his stuff came out before that.  Ok, that is no excuse as that didn't keep me from following The Beatles or Led Zeppelin, but you get my point - he seemed to peak before my time.  In fact, when I think I David Bowie, I think of what every child from the 80s thinks of, Labyrinth.  He was awesome in that movie and that alone has always made me a fan of his in one way or another.  Space Oddity is one of those popular songs I had heard before and always thought was kind of cool.  I believe it has been used in a couple of commercials from my childhood and I will always remember Chandler singing it on an episode of Friends.  It is so big, that Wikipedia mentions that TWENTY-FIVE different cover versions have been made of the song by other bands/singers.  That's crazy! 

The song itself, was apparently, Bowie's first big hit and because of the subject matter and "Major Tom", it was used by the BBC in their coverage of the moon landing in July of 1969, the month the song was released.  Talk about some good exposure!  The song was so good and popular, when the album was rereleased, they changed the album name from David Bowie to Space Oddity.  Not too bad for a song that was originally not well received. 


I actually don't know how HARD the song will be to play, but it should be a blast to sing!  Below is obviously not the original video...



3 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

THAT is what I'm talking about for the history of the songs/bands! LOVE IT!!!

I too always thing of Chandler when I hear this one!

laura b. said...

Great info, Manuel! I looove David Bowie.

Mom said...

thank you for including the video - I really didn't know the song by name but definitely hearing it made it allcome together.