Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Rock Band 3 Countdown #7 - Du Hast

If there is any song in the top 10 that might make you go, "WHO?" it will probably be this song.  Then again if you know me well or know rock, you have heard of Rammstein, the German metal band.  And this 1997 song by the band is probably their most popular(but not their best).  I can't recall the first time I heard this song, but I do know the first time I heard the band.  Early in 1997, I heard Rammstein for the first time while at the movies to see Lost Highway.  I loved the music (as well as the movie) that I immediately went out and bought the soundtrack.  Rammstein had two songs on the amazing soundtrack and I instantly became a fan.  I know that I hadn't heard Du Hast yet as a)it was still a few months from release and b) I KNOW that the songs on the soundtrack were my first exposure to the band. 

The song, itself, while being their most well-known song in the US, wasn't exactly a huge hit here, only reaching #20 on the rock charts here, but then again, that is the highest ever for a German language song on that particular chart.  The song itself has two versions.  There is a German-only version as well as a version released where the first chorus and verses are in English and it ends with the second chorus in German.  I actually prefer the all-German version as it sounds more raw and angry.  In the US, the song has been featured on numerous soundtracks.  Die-hard Sacramento Kings fans should recognize the intro to the song(minus the lyrics) as it was played for a few years at home games right after the players were introduced and the game was about to start.  It was hilarious to me to go to a game and see the crowd standing and clapping along to the beat to get pumped up for the game to start.  I would laugh and think to myself, "I wonder if that elderly lady knows she is clapping along to some German Death Metal?"  I am sure if the song was allowed to continue playing more than the intro, half the stadium might have fainted over in shock. 

I don't care what I play in this song, honestly.  I am just excited it was included!  Now maybe they can add even more from the band!


5 comments:

laura b. said...

I like this video...and I've always liked that they lyrics are sort of a play on wedding vows in German.

Mom said...

Yeah, I didn't recognize the name but as soon as you said Rammstein I knew. How exciting that this song would be in Rock Band. I think you should try to sing it definitely!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

YES! I LOVE LOVE LOVE Rammstein and am so happy they're getting exposure on Rock Band 3. I know Rock Band has opened our eyes to many bands that we once were unfamiliar with but now love, and I hope the same is true for others and Rammstein.

I think drums and guitar are going to rock, but singing is going to be hilarious, since neither of us Sprechen Sie Deutsch...

Churlita said...

Weird. I know a lot of metal, but I don't know this band.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Churlita - If you like the genre, DEFINITELY check them out! We really enjoy their music, although you can't really sing along to it (unless you know German!)