Monday, September 17, 2007

Needles, drills, and movies...

It is only 2PM and I guess it is really a day to be punishing myself. This morning I woke up early to go to the dentist and have her give me a filling. The only thing that really hurt was having my mouth open that long, but still, it isn't the most comfortable thing in the world.

Later on, I had a doctor appointment so he could take a look at my calf muscle which has been hurting for about 3 months now. I don't remember ever injuring it, I just remember the pain has been nonstop for a long time. He felt around and felt what he thinks was scar tissue in my calf. He guesses somehow I must have torn it. I think I would remember something like that, but it makes sense. He gave me a cortisone injection in the calf muscle which thankfully didn't hurt as much as the size of the needle made it look like it could hurt. I don't know how quickly it is supposed to work though because 2 hours later or so, I can still feel the same pain. We'll see....


Saw three more movies on DVD and Blue Ray recently that I thought I would review....

Smokin Aces - This was a pretty fun movie that had a great cast. Basically, there is an informant with Mob ties in a suite in a hotel room. Officials, assassins, and everyone in between is trying to get to him first. The movie is full of colorful characters and it had a great mix of action and comedy. The movie had a few bloody scenes, but nothing that gore lovers like my wife and I couldn't handle. Definitely a movie that probably wouldn't have been made in the pre-Pulp Fiction era for its combo of language, blood, and quirky characters/scenes. 7.5 out of 10












Disturbia - Basically, this was Rear Window set in the modern age with teenagers. I hadn't heard a bad thing about it so we decided to give it a go. This movie was very entertaining. The characters were funny and they threw in a decent amount of suspense to counteract the overall teenage feel of the film. Very enjoyable... 8 out of 10.











Hot Fuzz - This was made by and starred the same people who did Shaun of the Dead. I loved SOTD and I was pretty jazzed to see a movie by the same people. I was not disappointed at all. The lead character is a super cop who gets transferred to a town where nothing ever happens crime wise. Of course, that doesn't stay that way forever. It's basically a comedy, but had some rather gruesome parts. A lot of the movie is an obvious jab at Hollywood cop movies, and it is done a a very funny way. Hearing the characters discuss films like Point Break and Bad Boys 2 is hilarious. The English accents of the characters are sometimes a little strong, but you get it for the most part. If you like buddy cop movies and you like to laugh, this is a must! 9 out of 10!

7 comments:

laura b. said...

Out of the three I have seen only Disturbia and agree that it was pretty entertaining. I have been wanting to see Hot Fuzz, because I love SotD too. Sounds like it is definitely worth sitting down for one day.

Anonymous said...

OK, we'll try Disturbia and maybe check out Smokin Aces.
Sorry about your medical woes. I too have been limping around all summer. I've been blaming it on flimsy thongs but maybe I should give in and go to the doctor. I hope the Cortisone shot works. Hugs

Anonymous said...

You hit "smokin aces" right on the head....it was a new version of "pulp Fiction", except not nearly as good.

I thought about "Disturbia" for a second, but once I read a few reviews I figured the movie was probably better with Jimmy Stewart in it and directed by Hitchcock.

Mom said...

The Hot Fuzz sounds fun. Looking forward to more posts! Sorry about your calf muscle. I know it has been bothering you for a long time.

npanth said...

Good luck with your cortisone shot. I had a lingering sore spot in my calf this spring, I guess I didn't hurt it as badly.
I happen to be going in tomorrow for a filling, so I'll feel your pain ;)

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Smokin Aces and Hot Fuzz were both good movies.. I think that Smokin Aces was on the edge of yer seat typr movie more so than Hot Fuzz...

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Smokin' Aces - Joe Carnahan representing Sacramento! Local boy makes good!

Disturbia - Shia LaBeouf is cute!

Hot Fuzz - Very cute movie. I REALLY liked it.