Thursday, October 18, 2007

Movie Reviews

As it is my goal to review every movie when I see it for the first time, here are the new movies I have seen since the last review...



Knocked Up - I heard so many good things about this movie when it was out in the theaters, I knew I had to give it a chance. I wasn't sure what to expect though as often, I hear so many good things about certain comedies and they end up being horribly stupid. Fortunately, this movie did not disappoint. This movie had some very funny scenes while having a pretty good story at the same time. I don't think I would buy it, but it was good for a good laugh. 7 out of 10 stars













Stay Alive - Jessica and I pretty much rent all new mainstream horror movies that come out. Yeah, they are usually not very good, but we watch them for the pure silly entertainment value. The majority of them lately, save a couple, have been only ok. I rented this one expecting it to be pretty bad. It is about a video game where if you die in the game, you die for real. Like "The Ring" for gamers. However, this movie ended up being surprisingly good. It did away with the cheap scares - you know, the stupid, "Oh my goodness, my friend tapped me on my shoulder! Scary!" Was it scary? No, not really. But I enjoyed the story and thought it was one of the better made horror films of the last couple of years. 7.5 out of 10








Pulse - Another horror movie. Basically, there are these monsters that come out of the computer and make you all depressed until you end up killing yourself. Or something like that. I don't know. It was stupid. 2 out of 10















Stranger Than Fiction - A dramedy, although it is more of a drama than a comedy. Will Farrell plays a guy who hears the voice of a narrator in his head who is describing his everyday life as if it was a book. Funny thing is, there actually is a writer writing a book with him as the main character. Yeah, it sounds a little weird, but it is easy to follow. Now, before you tune out because it is a Will Farrell movie, know that this is NOTHING like his other films. There is no slapstick aspect to this film. In fact, he was nominated for Best Actor at the Golden Globes this year for this film. He is fantastic. The story itself - AMAZING! It starts off a teeny bit slow but just keeps getting better and better until its very powerful ending. I was very moved. This was one of the best films I have seen in many years. It is just a beautiful movie; almost fairy tale-ish. Do yourself a favor and see this movie and then come back and tell me what you thought. 9.5 out of 10

6 comments:

Tara said...

I'm glad you liked "Knocked Up". I wouldn't buy it either, but I was not disappointed in the movie.

One horror movie I wouldn't mind renting is "Return to the House on Haunted Hill". I can sense that it'll be stupid, but I liked the weird effects in the first one (talking about the remake and not the one with Vincent Price, although that wasn't bad either).

Anonymous said...

We liked both movies but especially Stranger Than Fiction. Will did a good job and was not annoying like in most of his other movies.
I really appreciate your reviews. On your recommendation we saw Smokin Aces and it was really good. We both kept saying "this is really good". Hugs

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I've seen the first one and thought it was an okay movie...

Sharon said...

I saw "Stranger Than Fiction" and agree with your rating.

I have "Knocked Up" at home to watch over the weekend... I'm glad to hear it lives up to all the good hype!

MrManuel said...

Tara - Yeah, I have been meaning to put that on my Netflix list too. Will have to do that.

Nani - Glad you liked the movie! Awesome!

Mrs BHW - Yeah, it was a decent little flick

Sharon - I wouldn't say ALL the hype, but it is definitely funny...

laura b. said...

I loved Stranger Than Fiction too. I am definitely going to watch Knocked Up one day soon.