Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Best Picture Thoughts

So, as a few of you know, Jessica and I make it a point to see all 5 films nominated for Best Picture prior to the Oscars being announced. We've been doing this over 10 years now and have been lucky enough to see some great films we would have otherwise not seen. We also got a chance to see some stinkers, but they balance out. Here is what I think of the 5 nominate films announced yesterday.

Atonement - From what I can tell, it is a love story set in non-modern times. This just seems to have dud written all over it. I am not oppossed to all love stories nor period pieces, but this just does not look like something I want to see. I a sure it will have some substance to it and some other story, but for now, I am not looking forward to this. Excitement level - 1 out of 10.

Juno - I have yet to hear a bad thing about this movie. From what I have heard, the characters are kind of kooky in a Napolean kind of way, just better and with a better script. With all the buzz going in, I just hope I am not dissapointed. Excitement level - 8 out of 10

Micheal Clayton - From what I can tell, it is a lawyer drama. I am sure there it is full of backstabbings, backroom deals, etc., etc. Looks like it will be pretty good and it can't go wrong with one my favorite actors in Clooney so I am hoping this turns out ok. Excitement level - 5 out of 10

No Country for Old Men - Read my review in the previous post about this great film. This movie rocks!

There Will Be Blood - I believe this is about the early days of oil tycoons or something similar to that. From what I have heard, Daniel Day Lewis gives the performance of his career and that is saying a lot with the good movies he has done. It seems like it will be a little too long and since Paul Thomas Anderson directed it, I think it will be kind of weird. But, I heard it is good so I am cautiously optomistic. Excitement level - 5 out of 10.

That is, if there IS an Oscar Show. The writer's strike might kill this show which would be devastating, but I fully support the writers as I feel that they are entitled to those residuals that they deserve. I don't know the full details, but I believe from the details I have heard, they are in the right and deserve what they should be getting. We'll see....

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how little talent these people have without writers. Do stars do anything for themselves?

I did raise an eyebrow over seeing previews for "There Will Be Blood", Daniel Day Lewis always seems to hang around these kind of movies. I do respect him as an actor.

AlienCG said...

As I mentioned in your previous post, I want to see "No Country...." I'm not too sure about any of the other nominees. Maybe, "There Will be Blood" when it's released on DVD.

Anonymous said...

Give Atonement a try. We saw this on Tues and I have to say I found it to be a very good movie. Much more to it than just a love story. Definately worth a look.

Jose said...

Is it that time again? Didn't you did this just like a few months ago? Man tiem sure flies when you are having fun. The movies and I don't mix, I am a video kind of guy and most of the time Oscar nominated films may have substance but normally are not the block buster type. Well, I hope you enjoy your movie hopping venture.

laura b. said...

I have seen two of the five, Juno and No Country for Old Men. Both excellent in very different ways. I read Atonement and have been curious to see the movie. I didn't have any strong feelings about Michael Clayton or There Will Be Blood, so who knows?

PurpleOceanMoon said...

I want to see Juno. It looks really good.

Mom said...

No Country... and Juno are the only movies I really want to see. I had seen previews for Atonement and I'm just blah on it so I can hardly wait for your review. The Juno trailer looks absolutely wonderful and I'm glad it ws nominated. I agree with the writers too and I'm glad they are sticking with it! It would suck for the Oscars to turn into a Golden Globe fiasco but good for them if they do it!

Churlita said...

I wasn't super impressed with Atonement. It seemed a little slow for me. I like Michael Clayton, No Country and Juno. I have yet to see There Will Be Blood.