Tuesday, February 05, 2008

5 more movies

Better get some movie reviews done before I get overwhelmed with too many. Here is what I have seen in the last week or so...


Balls of Fury - I knew this was going to be stupid going in, but I just wanted it to entertain me and make me laugh a little. I wasn't disappointed; it made me chuckle a few times. Yeah, it WAS stupid, but the reason I seemed to like this comedy over some others is it clearly didn't take itself too seriously. I mean, it is a movie about infiltrating an arms dealer by doing a ping pong tournament! How serious can you take it!?! 6.5 out of 10














This is a documentary I saw the other day. This follows a group of individuals who dress up as superheroes in front of Mann's Chinese Theater in Hollywood and take pictures with tourists for tips. This is what they do to earn extra money as most of them are struggling "actors." It was a fascinating look into the lives of these people. It was done from a serious point of view rather than making fun of them even though some of them are clearly dillusional or slightly not there. If you like documentaries and especially documentaries where you can learn about a lifestyle you probably didn't know existed, this comes highly recommended. 8 out of 10








This was one of those, "Let's put this on our Netflix list simply because it is another recent mainstream horror we haven't seen yet. We pretty much rent all these in hopes they wil be mindless entertainment. This was just ok. It was your basic haunted house story. The main appeal of this one is you could watch it regular, or you could watch it like a Choose Your Own Adventure book. If you choose this option, you come to various points throughout the movie where you get to click on what you want a character to do. Based on what you choose, the story has different results. There was one we chose where all the characters died halfway through the movie. Kind of fun, but not enough to make the movie good. 4 out of 10






This is the Rob Zombie remake of the original film. I know a lot of people were very against this film as they hold the original in such high regards. I think the original is good, but not great. I really think Myers is kind of lame compared to my favorite slasher, Freddy(yes, I know about the remake). I thought this remake was pretty good. I actually liked that they did more of the back story on young Michael Myers. But, being that there are devout followers of the original, some will automatically hate it. If you just want to see a good slasher and you can look past the fact that they are remaking a "classic", you will probably enjoy this. 7 out of 10









I just saw this tonight, the second of the 5 Best Picture nominees we need to see. I wasn't looking forward to it, but I liked it. I didn't love it as much as I did, "No Country for Old Men," but it was good. It is about an oil tycoon at the turn of the 20th century, but also has to do with family, greed, religion, and so much more. Daniel Day Lewis is AMAZING in this film. This is truely his film an it shows as he is in about 99% of the film. It is a tad long at around 2 hours and 40 minutes, but you are never really bored. The story is really good and although the film just seems to end, the more I think about it, the more I think it was a perfect ending. Actually, the more I sit and think about this movie as I type, the more I like this movie. Screw it - 9 out of 10! Great movie!

8 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Balls of Fury - How can you not like a movie where Christopher Walken is being SO Christopher Walken?!

Halloween - I'm a big fan of horror movies, you know this, but there were parts of this one that I thought were disturbingly violent. It was a good movie, but it bothered me to watch some of it.

There Will Be Blood - Like you said, Daniel Day Lewis was freaking amazing. The story was good but like I already told you, I expected it to go more somewhere. I know that's not good grammar but I can't figure out how else to say it. Like you, the more I think about it the more I liked it, but not as much as No Country... And always remember: You're a bastard from a basket!

Anonymous said...

1.No thanks on the first...stupid is stupid and Hollywood is just not doing it funny anymore.

2.This documentary you mentioned looks interesting and is actually on my list. I saw some stuff about it a while back

3.The first one was stupid....

4. first date with Renee, I reviewed it as well. I liked the first half of this movie and some of the character building. Because of the fact it was the first date, it holds a strange little place in my heart.

5. Want to see it and probably will.

Anonymous said...

We saw Balls of Fury. I didn't know there was a plot. Arms dealers? :-) It was a hoot and as miss sassy pants said "Christopher Walken was SO Christopher Walken". It was fun.

Anonymous said...

Mike and I rented Balls of Fury and Halloween at the same time.
We didn't like Balls of Fury...surprisingly...because we like stupid movies...I think we may have turned it off.
We liked Halloween though...we are a fan of Rob Zombie movies and we enjoyed the cameos of some of the actors from his other movies. But I do agree with Jessica that some parts were disturbingly violent. To see this kid murdering people was just creepy!
Cassie

laura b. said...

I haven't seen any of these. I am especially intrigued by the documentary about superheroes though. I love stuff like that.

AlienCG said...

Balls of Fury--If I put it in my queue, it will probably be an afterthought.

Superheroes--I may have to check this one out.

Return to House...--No thanks, I will see the original of the original.

Halloween--By giving pure evil a back story, you give it an excuse. The mystique behind the mask was the fact that you really didn't know why he was killing.

There Will Be Blood--The previews keep making it look better and better.

HappyFlapjacks said...

Di & I are putting the Superheroes one on the list. Looks good.

Evil: I have to disagree with the comment about Halloween. The back story was an excuse until he takes out the one guard, then you stop giving him excuses; he IS pure evil. It verifies it. He gives you an excuse and then takes it right back, no excuses. That's part of what I liked about the story.

Tara said...

I've looked at that "Return to the House on Haunted Hill" while shopping mindlessly at the store, and many times I've considered buying it because the first one had some good, creepy effects and music.