Sunday, February 03, 2008

My Super Bowl Breakdown - minute by minute

I've decided to keep a running blog of the Super Bowl so you can know my thoughts on the game and of course, the commercials. I turned on the tv hours ago and they were already in full force with pregame nonsense. I decided it was way too early to start this and went out into the world to do some shopping. Now it is 2:48 and I guess I will sit down and start this...

2:48 - I hope we see some good commercials this year. I am a little worried as I read companies are promising more friendly and uplifting commercials this year as oppossed to the manly, risque commercials of the last few years. Who the hell wants feel good? I think I am going to check out the Puppy Bowl.

2:51 - These puppies are much cuter than Terry Bradshaw. Seriously, is there anything cuter than puppies? I am going to TIVo the replay...

2:53 - I should change it back to the game, but the puppies are too cute...

2:54 - I have no idea what they are doing on the pregame show right now. They are talking about the American Revolution? There are people dressed up as the signers of the Declaration of Independence. Now they have football stars repeating the Declaration of Independence. This is lame. I mean, I get why they are doing it, but....they are trying to hard. Jessica just said, "I think it is because we are at war and crap." Oh no, they just pulled out the New York firefighters card. I am a patriotic person, but this just screams, "The NFL is so wonderful and we care so much. Aren't we great?!?"

3:04 - Players are leaving their locker room. They are talking to Troy Aikman. As a 49ers fan, I still hate him.

3:09 - Another vignette on Giants before they come out on the field. That has to be awesome running on the field for this game. Too bad they had to ruin it by running out to some hip hop song.

3:12 - Here come the Patriots. Oh wait, have to do a vignette on them first too. This is in case you missed the other 50 segments on the team in the previous few hours. Oh, they are coming out to Ozzy! Much better choice!

3:18 - National Anthem time. Figures that Fox would have an American Idol winner sing the National Anthem.

3:20 - At least she sounded good.

3:24 - Coin Toss Time! Woohoo! I like that they are honoring Bill Walsh. Good to see some 49ers!

3:26 - Giants win the coin toss. Well, at least they won something. They can go away with that if the game doesn't go their way.

3:29 - They just wanted to confirm that Tom Brady's ankle is ok and shouldn't be a problem. That's some deep investigative reporting right there!

3:30 - Kickoff! All the flashes are pretty. I just looked up that the average ticket price was going for $4,300. That is for face value tickets of $700-900.

3:35 - 1st commercials

Bud Light - It can help you breathe fire! Ehh...I feel like I have seen something similar before?

Godfather homage - Old guy wakes up with the front of a car in his bed. Audi, you could have done better. Not really that funny.

3:39 - Jessica says, "That guy's fat!" I'd love to see some skinny lineman. Giants are looking good so far.

3:44 - 3 points for New York. Not a bad start.

3:45 Commercials

Everyone is falling asleep during various activities. Funny Pepsi commercial and then they ruined it with the head bob from Night at the Roxbury. Never seen a commercial go from funny to crappy that fast!

SalesGenie.com - HUH?!?!? Never heard of them.

3:48 - Commercials

Bud light commercial - Guy hides his beer in some fake cheese. Dumb.

Under Armour commercial - Matrix like. Stupid. 4 commercials in and they suck.

3:50 - Patriots' turn.

3:52 - They just advertised that you can see all the commercials on MySpace. MySpace is taking over the world. I am just waiting for the day Rite-Aid has a MySpace page and I can order my prescriptions from there. I bet the turnout for voting would be better if we could vote on MySpace.

3:58 - Quarter over already?!?!

Commercials

Animals screaming - Bridgestone tire commercials. Look how we can avoid squirrels. Mildly amusing.

Doritos - We help people get singing careers? Huh?

4:01 - American Idol commercial. First of many I am sure. For those of you who have never heard of the show I guess. Lucky you...

4:02 - Touchdown New England. Too easy.

And more commercials (please be funny)

Preview for a new sci fi movie with Jolie and Freeman. Looks slightly interesting. Some cool special effects.

Jeter commercial for Gatorade. Dull.

GoDaddy commercial telling you to go to their website and you can see Danica Patrick take her clothes off. Not falling for that.

Dell commercial - Buy a Dell and you can save lives. I am sure starving children around the world are happy about that. I am sure they are excited knowing they will get a meal tonight depending on what computer I buy.

Carrier Pigeons - Giant pigeons wrecking havoc. That was funny. Mildy funny, but the best so far. Good job FedEx.

Cars.com - Something about fighting a warrior in a fire pit. I don't know, I was typing.

Talking coffee stain - Now THAT was funny!!! Reminded me of Bruce Almighty. That's funny, there is Jim Carrey in the stands.

4:09 - What a lucky pass by Manning. That was just a loft.

4:12 - Giants are taking too long to hike the ball. I predict more delay of games in this game by them. Interception! Not really Manning's fault though. Ouch!

4:13 Commercials

Horse training to Rocky music - AWESOME!

Iron Man preview. I can't wait for this. Good to see some new clips of this movie finally instead of the same trailer.

4:18 - Corolla commercial - So quiet a badger won't wake up. Ehh....

George Clooney commercial about football in the early days. Looks fairly amusing. Looked very Cohen Brothers like. I should look.

GPS commercial with Napoleon. Dumb. His little horse was kind of funny though.

4:21 - Another Giants turnover? Nope. But it sure looked like they lost it. Wow, that was not very impressive stuff by the Giants there.

4:23 Commercials

Careerbuilder commercial - Heart jumps out of lady and tells her boss she quits. Ok.....

Life Water commercial - Lizards doing the Thriller dance. I can stop watching now. That commercial will not be topped. I don't care what it is - prisoners, lizards, ninjas, chinchillas - you can never go wrong with the Thriller dance.

Drug dealer commercial - Way to bring me down after the last commercial. Save your PSAs for another time.

4:27 - Brady sacked 2 times in a row. Any minute, they will talk about the impact on his ankle.

4:28 Commercials

Some commercial about following your dreams and pushing a rock up a hill. Huh? It is a car commercial? Stupid!

Carlos Mencia commercial for Bud Light. Teaching guys how to pick up chicks. Not really funny.

American Idol commercial again? Hmm....never heard of the show. Good thing they advertise it!

4:30 - Bill Belichick does NOT look happy.

4:33 - They just showed a guy who has a stripe under his eye on ONE side. That's straight thugalicious yo!

4:37 - Manning almost threw another interception. Geez!

Prince Caspian commercial - I'll pass. I didn't care for the first one. Didn't do the book justice.

Everybody loves the ugly girl because she uses peanuts as perfume. Funny.

Charles keeps calling Dwayne Wade - Funny. Probably not as funny if you haven't seen their other commercials.

4:40 - Another commercial break?!?!?

Somebody is beating up Justin Timberlake by drinking Pepsi. Commercial - dumb. Justin getting beat up - awesome. It was actually funny once you get the point.

Giant mouse attacks a guy who is holding a bag of doritos. Pretty funny in a creepy way.

4:43 - Brady just got hit by someone named Jabrill? Who names their kid Jabrill. They couldn't decide between Jason, Brian, or Will? I guess it is better than Briwilson.

4:50 - 22 seconds left in the half and it is 7-3. Not the score I was expecting. Turnover by the Patriots. This game is ugly!

4:54 - Halftime. I am taking a break......

5:25 - 2nd half underway. Tom Petty sounded pretty good.

5:30 Commercials

Another cars.com commercial, this time with a witch doctor. Not funny.

Another stupid salesgenie commercial that uses some very stereotypical foreign accents. Not funny.

Shaq is horseracing. Mildly amusing. He better get used to more commercials as he can't really play anymore.

5:34 Commercials

Cavemen carrying Bud Light on a wheel. Very funny! I laughed out loud.

Carmen Electra commercial for gum. She's still around? Really, that is the best they could come up with?

A Bridgestone commercial where the guy has to swerve around various things including Richard Simmons. That was pretty funny.

5:37 - New England just got a call reversed. That is a huge call. Might be a game turner.

5:43 - Patriots went for it when they were in field goal range? Interesting...

5:44 - Commercials

Not buying a Hyundai. Sorry.

New Pixar film! All over that! Looks like Johnny 5. There were posters for this all over Disneyland.

5:45 - Let see if the Giants can stop sucking.

5:51 - Nope, they can't.

Commercials

Trailer for Jumper. Rental at best.

E Trade commercial with baby talking with adult voice. Baby spits up. I hope I never see that again.

Bud Light commercial where guy flies and then gets sucked into a plane engine. I chuckled.

5:55 - Only 3 minutes left if 3rd quarter and the game has been uneventful and the commercials have for the most part, been horrible. Bummer. I hope the 4th quarter is exciting. At least I have a new episode of House tonight.

6:01 - 3rd quarter over. Whoever has 7-3 in those office pools is kicking ass!

Commercials

NFL Super-ad commercial. Cute.

Jack in the Box commercial in the spa. Not their best commercial.

Uh-oh, local commercials. They must be out of new ones. Well, I'm all disappointed.

6:04 4th quarter underway. I can't contain my excitement.

Commercials

A Madonna commercial for a hair product. Horrible!

Coke commercial where Stewie and Underdog floats fight over a Coke bottle. Charlie Brown float ends up getting it. Very cute. They should have shown this earlier when people were awake.

6:07 - BIG pass play by the Giants! Let's see if they turn it over...

6:10 - TOUCHDOWN GIANTS! Wow, and the Giants have the lead in the 4th quarter! They way this game is going, that might be it. Never count out Brady and the Patriots. We have a game!

Commercials

People arguing over politics become friends because they drink Coke. We should spray the Middle East with Coke apparently.

NFL says I can get in trouble for doing descriptions of the game without their express written permission. Uh oh!

6:14 Commercial again

Adam Sandler trailer - rental at best.

6:19 - Patriots have to punt. Uh oh

Commercials

Scary adult voiced baby talking. At least not gross this time.

Dog drinking Gatoraid. Cute, but only because it is a dog. I think I am done with the commercials unless they are funny.

6:22 - Giants with the ball. They score a touchdown, and it could be over. They need to waste some time.

6:24 - Patriots got the stop they needed by a yard. Pretty exciting now...

6:28 - They just showed the Giants athletic trainer. He has been their trainer since 1948!!! Good lord!!!!! 60 years!!!

6:29 - Can the Patriots do it? 7 minutes left in the game. I have reasons I want both teams to win. If you are still reading this, you rock! Put the word shenanigans in your comment and I will promote your blog in my next post.

6:34 - Patriots are close to scoring. They are at least going to tie this game.

6:39 - Touchdown Patriots! Nice play.

6:41 - Giants have 2:42 to score a touchdown. A field goal won't do.

6:44 - 2 minute warning. At least we get an exiciting finish. It could be all ver in 2 more plays though.

6:47 - 4th and 1. This could be it right here. And he makes it...

6:51 - HOLY FUCK! How did they not tackle Manning and let him get that pass off? If the Giants end up winning, that play will be a highlight for years to come. Like Montana to Clark highlight.

6:53 - Giants just used their last time out. 51 seconds. Around the 25 yard line I think.

6:55 - GIANTS TOUCHDOWN!!!! Wow!!! 35 seconds left!

6:58 - What a 4th quarter! Tom Brady time!

7:00 - Brady just got NAILED!

7:01 - One last play. I am shocked, but in a good way...

7:03 - GIANTS WIN! GIANTS WIN! Congrats! I am very happy for them. I didn't think they could pull it off. What an awesome 4th quarter! I love a good upset.

7:07 - I need to pee......

11 comments:

dmarks said...

I missed the Iron Man commercial!

I hate the "used" commercials. Sure, the cell phone one with the wizard was OK the first time I saw it...

AlienCG said...

Great realtime account of the game. The NFL and FOX will be at your door any minute now.

Anonymous said...

The commercials were mostly lame but I did like the FedEx one and the caveman one with the beer on the wheel. I laughed out loud too. I'm sad that the Patriots lost but it was a good game and NY worked hard.
Good job Man! I have to go to work now. Hugs and smiles.

PurpleOceanMoon said...

I love football shenanigans! Did you see the Will Ferrel commerical? Bud Light- Suck one!LOL!! Tony's loves New York. He is very happy

laura b. said...

You should totally be a color commentator.

Anonymous said...

The Dorito's mouse commercial was funny due to random violence...uplifting, bah!!

The carrier pigeons were OK.

The Narnia commercial piqued my interest, I was pleasantly surprised by the first one.

I actually enjoyed the Super Bowl this year. It was a good game. Has not been this fun since 2 years ago...Steelers.

MrManuel said...

dmarks - Iron Man is going to be great!

Alien - I'll make sure to lock the door

Nani - Of course you like the FedEx one!

POM - YOU ROCK! You got the word!

Laura - I would love to do that.

Evil - See, I didn't care for the first Narnia film. I went in with the thought in my head of what it would be after reading it many times and it disappointed. I was bored.

HappyFlapjacks said...

Loved the mouse one, and the tires one where they had to swerve around animals/richard simmons. The commercials were really lame this year. I agree with the comment about used commercials. It's the f***ing super bowl dammit! Give me my expensive marketing campaigns!!!

Mom said...

I did like the Audi commercial. I'm a big Godfather fan so I liked it. I liked the Bud commercial with the Rocky theme and I loved the Life Water commercial. Those were my favorites. As far as the game, it was actually a pretty good game. It held my interest most of the time. Actually I did most of my cooking during the game and ran out to the TV during the commercials!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, you mean I didn't really have to watch that whole game, I could've just read your blog??

npanth said...

Nice post. I went over to audi.com after the game. the new car looks pretty cool, costs more than I make in a year, though. I was torn about the game. I'm an Eagles and Bills fan, so I was hoping that both teams would refuse to come out for the second half. I'm glad they came out, it was a good game, and I'm... gulp... happy for the giants (?!)