Monday, January 10, 2005

The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly

You know what? I am very proud of the title for this one so don't knock it. Hmm, which one should we start with? I guess I will go in order so as to not confuse the readers. Oh wait, I think only 2 people are reading this- my new (and ironically old) best friend Kelly who is the first person to leave a comment on this page (Thank you SOOO much) and my wife. So first the good...

239.0 pounds!!! Yes, I lost 4.5 pounds this last week. I am happy because I really worked hard. Well, I worked hard on the weekdays. I did have a nice sourdough burger on Saturday night and a Subway sandwich on Sunday night. But, since I was good the rest of the time plus I exercised, I got to see the results I wanted. Yeah me! One week in and I am 3.5 pounds ahead of schedule. Now if only I could be that far ahead in everything else I do. Why can't my quest to become a professional poker player go that quick? Oh yeah, poker gods have some vendetta against me.

The bad next and really, the word doesn't do it justice. For the last week, my wife and I were pretty sure that she was pregnant. No, that is not the bad part. In fact, we have been trying for months now and we were sure that it had finally happened. She was showing some very recognizable symtoms according to her (and her being a nurse, I trust her). She was going to do a blood test when she went in to the doctor's on Wednesday. Well, come Saturday, she started bleeding. A lot. WAY more than usual. It continued yesterday and on to today. She talked to some people and she is pretty darn certain that she miscarried. She is certain that it was not just a period, and again, I trust her based on her educational background. So, we had a nice week of huge optimism and it all came crashing down this weekend. She had a good cry as we were about a week away from spilling the beans about our good news to everyone. So, she'll talk to the doctor about it on Wednesday when she goes in. So, most people won't call it a baby after just a couple of weeks, but to us, we lost ours. A very sad time for us.

And now the ugly. C'mon, you didn't think I was going to let that Randy Moss incident yesterday go did you? In case you don't know what I am talking about, let me recap. Randy Moss plays for the Minnesota Vikings and he was playing the Green Bay Packers. He scored a touchdown and then it got UGLY. He proceeded to turn his back to the Green Bay fans, and pretended like he was mooning them. Classless. Totally classless. He was disrepectful and totally out of line. I was simply appalled. My friend Duncan put it best when he said, "You know, the guy just doesn't get it." And it's true. When they interviewed him after the game about it, he didn't seem to be at all apologetic about it and actually thought it was quite funny. Not really a shining citizen. Let's compare this to if it happened in basketball. Let's say Doug Christie dunked on Kobe Bryant at Staples Center and then turned around and pretended to moon the crowd. Ok, what would happen? Multiple choice:

a)he gets a technical
b)he gets thrown out of the game
c)gets fined
d)some guy on the team smacks him so hard the next time down the court that his wife feels it

Well, he better pray that b happens to him because if not, D will definitely happen. The Lakers would kick the shit out of him and I mean physically. It will be interesting to see if anything happens to Moss next time he plays Green Bay. He is a punk, and he deserves any hard hit that comes his way. Too bad there is a rule about excessive hits because this guy needs a good one. It may not come next game, but trust me, it is coming.

So there you have it. Good, bad (really bad), and ugly. And, I still need some kind of signature ending. Help me come up with one...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sweetie, I am so proud of you for your weight loss. Keep on trying, and I'll keep on supporting you, as you always support me. I love you and I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

Nice title. I agree with all three points. However, why are you trying to have children? (bet you can guess who this is)

Also, nice job on the weight loss. I'm trying to loose some lbs also. I'll track your progress here, and you can track mine by how many beers I drink at your poker table.