Sunday, January 30, 2005

Grit and determination

Game three against the Timberwolves this year today. Last two games the Kings had good leads going in to the 4th quarter only to have 37 and 36 points scored on them respectively in the 4th quarter of those 2 games to lose. So, playing in Minnesota today, I didn't predict a win. Then, we find out that not only is Peja not going to play again today, but Webb is going to sit out with the sore knee too. Add that to no Mo Evans who is still on the injured list, plus of course no Bobby and it doesn't look good at all. Then, Mobley starts limping in the first play of the game. Ok, how much are we going to lose by today? Luckily, Mobley gutted it out. So how did it go? Well, the Kings won of course. HUH? The Kings put on, and I am not exaggerating, THE best hustle, teamwork and help defense I have EVER seen them play. Yes, they have allowed less points before. Yes, they have made nicer passes before. But consider everything that they had going against them from the beginning of the game added on to the fact the T-Wolves were at home and riding a 5 game win streak, I can't think of a better team effort. And no, it is NOT because Webb didn't play. Some critics will say that it is because Webb did not play that made them play such great team ball. You won't get me saying that as I am still a big Webb fan. If you don't like him, then you can take off the wins against the Bucks and Rockets this year where he hit the 3 pointers at the end of the game. That is not even counting the other games this year where he has been clutch in the 4th. The rest of the team just made a solid commintent towards everything they have been lacking this year and it paid off. It was beautiful hard-nosed basketball.

Two of my three lowest students in my class left this week. One I am SO happy about, one I am disappointed. Student 1 was a basket case who had no respect for authority. He talked back, didn't try, and just didn't care. He is going to be home schooled. Good bye looney. The other one was quite low also, but I feel bad for this kid. He came to my school a couple of weeks in to the school year. It was like his 5th school in 3 years or something. Once he got here, he got in all kinds of trouble with both me and other students. I had to suspend him for fighting. Plus, he was just very low. But somehow, after a few months, I got to this kid. He started working harder, he was getting out of trouble, and we were seeing progress. Unfortunately, now he has to pack up and leave again. It is some custody thing. I don't think either parent wants to take responsibility for him. It is sad really. How is a kid ever going to succeed in a situation like this? How is he ever going to have a stable life? How is a teacher ever going to have success with him if he keeps getting new ones every few months? I feel really bad for him. Good luck little dude.

Played poker with Duncan and Jason on Friday night during the game and actually won. Man, I forgot what it felt like. Yes, I only beat two other players, but I just felt like everything was going my way and was going to go my way no matter what. I only won against two players, good players by the way, but it is a good confidence booster going in to the big tournament next weekend. With 80 people, being good isn't going to just cut it. I am going to need some luck as well. I needed that win on Friday.

No comments: