Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Take some responsibility damnit!

Major bad mood right now because of work. Apparently, a parent of one my students went to complain about me to the principal because she feels that her child has not progressed at all since the beginning of the year. A background on this girl: she is VERY low; probably a few grade levels behind. So basically, she is nowhere near 4th grade standards. She has a learning contract called an IEP which states her learning goals for the year since she is far behind. Basically, a, "We know you are far behind and are not going to make it all up in this one year. Let's try to get you from point A to point B by the end of the year." Usually this is in one or more academic areas. She has it in ALL areas. She is very low. Mom is not happy with this. I understand this. However, I still am going to give her some 4th grade material to see if she is learning any of it. Well, the majority of it she is not. But, she is progressing on her IEP goals which is what we want. I have told the mom this, but she doesn't seem to understand the concept. She sees her child getting bad grades and is focussing on that. I tell her, "Yes, she IS getting bad grades but she is not at 4th grade level yet." Instead of seeing the positive steps, she is looking at only the negative. She thinks because of her bad grades at FOURTH GRADE level, that I am not teaching her. Lady, I just said she is making progress in her goals, but not at what she should be at yet for someone her age. So basically, she was going to go talk to the prinicipal today to complain about my teaching. Part of the problem is that her teacher the year before (very nice lady) sugarcoats grades and report card comments a little. I look at what she wrote about this student and I KNOW, that it is not entirely true. She lets emotions get in the way and doesn't tell it how it is all the time. A parent compares the comments on that report card to what is happening now and of course thinks it is something to do with my teaching style Really? Well, why don't you look at my state test results for my students the last two years compared to how they did the previous year. They make a huge jump. I don't care if this is bragging or not, the results show that my students make HUGE gains when they come to my class. I wouldn't say if it I didn't have evidence to back it up. And it is not that 4th grade is easier. Ask any teacher and they will agree that the transition from 3rd to 4th grade is probably the hardest. Despite that, the majority of my kids kick ass by the end of the year. And this BITCH thinks I am not teaching well enough? What are you doing at home for her? Last week, I asked the girl about her weekly failed spelling test(she gets only 10 words while others get 30). I asked her, "Doesn't your mom work on these with you?" Of course her answer was no. How the FUCK do you expect your child to succeed in my class if you are not even working with them at home? So fine, move her to another classroom if you think that is the answer. Keep up the good work on the homework help too jackass. There are so many more thoughts running through my mind right now, but I can't seem to get them down properly because I am so pissed. Man I hate this fucking job...

No comments: