Thursday, January 05, 2006

My my my, how time flies...

January 5, 1996 is an important day in Manuel and my relationship. That is the day we went on our first date. 10 years ago! What the heck?! Can you believe it?! Where has the time gone? 10 years...

It started with him calling me on January 2nd to ask me out. He called and, as I found out later, chickened out and ended up asking me what our Spanish homework was. But he got his nerve up again, called back, and asked me if I wanted to go to the movies with him. I obviously accepted.

So the big First Date rolls around. He picked me up at home. We went to see Twelve Monkeys at the old Cinedomes. When the movie was over, we went to Leatherby's for ice cream. We talked and talked. Manuel spilled his strawberry milkshake all over and made a big mess! See, the shake came in the glass, and the extra came in the metal cup. He went to pour the extra from the metal cup into the glass, but it was a clump of ice cream and came plummeting toward his glass at full speed. His first reaction was to catch it, so he did, which left him with a handful of strawberry shake. We laughed about it, but I found out later that he was positive I wouldn't go out with him again after that. How dare he think me that shallow. How could I resist someone as great as him?

Below is a picture of the movie ticket stub from that first date. How cute is Manuel that he saved it?! It is faded and hard to see, but if you look real hard, you can make out the date and the movie title.

That's how it started. And as they say, the rest is history...


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary you two. You are truly soul mates.
Hugs,
Nani

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! Your marriage is built to last!
cuzin Allison

Valkyrie said...

Aww, that's so sweet!

Happy Anniversary.

Anonymous said...

and what a great way to spend your 10th anniversary. Glad to have spent it with you guys! It was fun! Manuel you are so sweet to have kept the ticket. Jessica you are a gem and I'm glad the two of you are together. I told you that yesterday but I'll say it again! We love you for who you are but also because you love our son so much!