Monday, April 27, 2009

And we're off!!!!


Here it comes - one of my favorite times of the year? What is it? Summer movie season. This isn't a time for award-winning type films. This is the time for mindless entertainment. In my opinion, the season kicks off Friday with the release of Wolverine:Origins, so here comes my usual movie preview post!

First, I'll start off with the highlights of the movie season. These are NOT all movies I want to see, just movies I think that bring in some bucks.

May 1
Wolverine:Origins - An X-Men prequel with the origin of the character Wolverine. I think you might have got that from the title though.

Battle for Terra - An animated movie with an all start cast. No matter what the plot, these always seem to make some money. This has some sci-fi elements.

The Ghosts of Girlfriends Past - Looks like yet ANOTHER romantic comedy with Matthew McConaughey. This guy seems to own this genre.


May 8
Star Trek - A prequel showing how the Enterprise crew (Kirk, Spock, etc) got started on their adventures


May 15
Angels & Demons - Although the book came before DaVinci code, this is supposed to be a sequel to the movie of the same name. Doesn't really matter. My guess is if you hated the first one, you won't like this. If you enjoyed it, you'll probably like it.


May 21
Terminator Salvation - Christian Bale assumes the role of John Conner and we are now seeing the aftermaths of Judgement Day.


May 22
Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian - Sequel to the Night at the Museum with Ben Stiller interacting with museum folk coming to life again.

Dance Flick - It KILLS me to put this on here because these parody movies all suck ass, but it will probably make some money as there are mindless people out there. Stop making these movies!!!


May 29
Drag Me To Hell - Sam Raimi returns to the genre he started with. A horror movie about a girl with a curse put on here. It looks decent.

Up - Here is all you need to know - it is the next Pixar film. Sold!


June 5
Land of the Lost - Remake where Will Farrell travels back in time and meets dinosaurs. Looks horrible.


June 12
The Taking of Pelham 123 - Action drama where Travolta takes a subway hostage and Denzel is a city worker. Something like that. It looks good though.



June 19
The Proposal - Romantic comedy with Ryan Reynold and Sandra Bullock. No matter what the plot is, I am sure they end up together in the end.

Year One - Jack Black is a cave man. And now he will play one in a movie.


June 24
Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen - Transformers 2. Same cast. Same people making it. Yup, I'm there.


June 26
My Sister's Keeper - I am not sure about the money amount on this, but, I have heard so many good things about this book, I will put it on here just in case all those who read it go out and see it. "A former defense attorney returns to the courtroom to defend herself and her husband when they are sued by their 13 years old daughter for emancipation. The girl was conceived as a genetic match with the hope she could prolong her cancer-ridden sister's life."


July 1
Ice Age 3 - Sequel to the other two of the same name

Public Enemies - Good looking action-thriller directed my Michael Mann and staring Depp as John Dillinger and Bale as the FBI agent trying to capture him. Seems like a winner.


July 10
Bruno - Sasha Baron Cohen brings another one of his quirky characters to the big screen. Sure to be controversial I am sure.


July 15
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - 6 film in the series and they keep getting darker and better. Delayed from last November.


July 24
G-Force - Disney cartoon about hamsters that are spies or something.


July 31
Funny People - Judd Apatow film staring Adam Sandler and Seth Rogen = $$$



August 7
GI Joe:Rise of the Cobra - With the success of Transformers, why not a Joe movie too? I agreed...until I saw the trailer. Trying to remain optimistic.


August 21
Inglorious Basterds - Yes, it is spelled like that on purpose. The next Tarantino film about World War II. Sure to be bloody.


August 28
Final Destination:Death Trip 3D - They should have done 3D for the 3rd film, not the 4th. If you don't know what this horror film is about, I am sure you won't be seeing it.

Halloween 2 - Rob Zombie continues his remake of the Michael Myers story.



So, with all that being said, what are my top 5 movies I look forward to seeing this Summer? It is tough, but here is my list in order from 5 to #1. This was really hard..

#5 - Wolverine:Origins - My favorite movie character being this far down the list? That shows you how excited I am about this Summer.

#4 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - I am rereading this right now and getting so excited for this movie.

#3 - Terminator:Salvation - This looks SO good, so perfect in its depiction of how it is after Judgement Day.

#2 - Inglorious Basterds - It is Tarantino. Even before hearing about the plot, that is enough to put my ass in the seat. After seeing the trailer, I was ecstatic.

#1 - Transformers:Revenge of the Fallen - If this is as good as the first one, this is sure to be a winner.

And there you have it. At the end of the Summer, I will rank the movies I saw in order of how I liked them. Enjoy! Go out and stimulate the economy by seeing a movie or 2 or 10.

12 comments:

laura b. said...

Not much calling out to me too forcefully there. I will probably see Inglorious Basterds for Tarantino, My Sister's Keeper because I liked the book, Public Enemies because of my boyfriend Johnny Depp, and Funny People because Apatow and crew hit on the hit and miss enough to make me feel okay about it.

Sal said...

"Jack Black is a cave man. And now he will play one in a movie." Great line!

I too always anticipate the Summer Movie season, and it's nice having a comprehensive list of what's coming out. Good work, and thanks.

My top five is pretty close to yours; all of those are long-awaited, though my most-anticipated film of the summer is probably Inglorious Basterds, because Tarantino hasn't let me down yet. Like everything else he does, I'll be there opening day.

I'm also looking forward to Drag Me to Hell, just to see if Raimi's still got it or if five years of glossy, mainstream Spidey movies ruined him for horror. Public Enemies looks promising; great cast, and I am familiar with the source material. I'll also check out G.I. Joe, although after what I've seen I am not expecting too much.

I'll also check out Up, because I don't miss anything Pixar does. Looks good, if the trailer is any indication.

nani said...

Uncle Skip, Jenn and Seth will be at Wolverine on Friday. Uncle Skip and I will be at Star Trek the following Friday and we will definately be at the Terminator. Other than that, we'll take it as it comes. Probably see Transformers with Seth. Pelham 123 is a remake. We'll see about that. Hugs.

Jose said...

Quite interesting alhtough my movie watching comes when they all come out on cable. Geez, I still have a long wait. However I do have a date with my daughter and niece to go see Harry Potter, they are fans I since I read all the books I'm there.

Churlita said...

We'll go see the Harry Potter movie for my birthday and I'd love to see Wolverine, but I'll probably have to wait until they all come on cable too.

MrManuel said...

Laura - Out of your choices, I know I'll see Basterds, might see Public Enemies in theaters, and if not on video, will wait for DVD for Funny People, and will skip Sister's Keeper.

Sal - Drag me to Hell looks good, but I think I will be waiting until DVD unless I hear overwhelming praise for it.

Nani - I didn't know Pelham was a remake, thanks.

Jose - I knew YOU wouldn't miss Potter!

Churlita - I don't have the patience to wait until it come son video. I need the whole experience.

Mom said...

It looks like a great movie season. Looking forward to Wolverine. Hopefully I'll get to go to the movies quite a bit!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I'm excited for everything in your top 5 except Terminator, which I know I'll love when I see it, but just can't feel excited about it the way I do the others.

MrManuel said...

Mom - I sure hope so!

Jess - I think Terminator has potential to be the best one.

Tara said...

I'm focused on seeing "X-Men Origins", then "Star Trek" and maybe "Angels & Demons" and the next installment of the "Terminator" series. I seem to only want to see Harry Potter movies once they move to DVD release.

Sebastien Millon said...

Oh yeah, the Tarantino flick, I am definitely seeing that! I also like the Ice Age movies, that might be worth a look but I'm not big on sequels/prequels... and Bruno, that's on my list, looking forward to it, I loved Borat!

MrManuel said...

Tara - The Potter movies are soo good in the theater though!!

Seb - I will probably see Bruno, but not until video.