Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Ask and you shall receive

Well, if you read yesterday's post, this is good news. A few hours from now, my dad will be flying home from Mexico. Although his town is hours from Mexico City, there were signs that people were starting to get sick from the flu in his town and he didn't really think it was worth the risk. I feel really bad for him though as he goes at the same time every year for two weeks and that is the only time he gets to see his parents and the rest of his family. As his parents are getting older and older, it is important that he gets this time with them and it is sad that he has to cut it way short like this. Well, he doesn't HAVE to, but he is doing the safe thing.

It worries me that he will be stuck on a plane with someone potentially sick on the way home. What if he catches something? How long until we know he is safe? How long until I am comfortable being around him? All thins that unfortunately, have to be considered. Scary times. But in the end, I am just relieved he is coming back. If he is to get sick, better he be here than there.

I didn't know until this developed that there was a swine flu scare a couple years before I was born. Here is a couple of commercials that aired on tv during that time:

9 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I too feel bad for Papi because, as you said, visits with his parents are getting more and more important, but he has to stay healthy and come home while he still can.

That video was scary, most especially that second one. It was totally Captain Tripps like...

Mom said...

I talked to your dad about an hour before he got on the plane. He sounded so down - I feel so bad for him. He said he lost it when he had to say goodbye but he does know he is doing the right thing. He just couldn't predict what was next.

The interesting thing is that on the Mexicana website it does say that passengers flying between April 24 (when he left) and May 6(two days before he was scheduled to return) passengers could get fee waivers for changing their flights. He was charged $215 to change his flight so I decided to call. They said that because he was originally scheduled to fly home on the 8th, that this didn't qualify. The way the government, both Mexico and USA, figure, that after the 6th everything should be okay. Hmmm!!! Would it have been worth the risk having him stay those two days and save $215 - no, of course not, but it is interesting but I did wonder if he had stayed, if he would have rode out the sickness. I guess the government thinks so, but I'm happer in the long run that he is coming home. I'm with you - I'd rather be here if he was to get sick. Keep good thoughts!

I think he said he'd go back in December and maybe I'll go with him then so it will all work out.

Sal said...

I'm glad to hear your dad is returning. I hope that he has an uneventful flight home, and that his trip in December will be longer and much less stressful! My fingers are firmly crossed.

I remember hearing about the 1976 swine flu outbreak while doing some research on the era (coincidentally the year I was born) in high school. Great commercials! Thanks for passing them along.

Jose said...

It's a good thing he is coming back. There is one comfirmed case of the Swyne Flu here in Arizona a kid that goes to Moon Elementary School. That in itself didn't mean nothing to me until my wife told me that's where my granddaughters Briana and Tallyna go. Although the kid has been treated they closed the school for the next 11 days. Some scary shit I tell ya.

nani said...

I'm so glad Manuel is home now. I just hope his family stays healthy. Thanks for the flashback. Hugs.

Churlita said...

Where does his family live in Mexico? My daughters' abuela lives in Leon. We haven't heard anything bad there yet.

There have been two cases of swine flu reported here, but both people were healthy in general and neither had to even be hospitalized. Let's hope that's the case everywhere from now on.

laura b. said...

I am glad to hear your dad is coming home...it just seems like the safer, smarter thing to do.

I try not to worry too much, but it can be challenging.

MrManuel said...

Wife - Yeah, funny that you just started rereading The Stand last month.

Mom - That makes me sad that it hit him so hard to have to come home. I hope December works out for you guys. Oh wait, does that mean I have to watch the dogs?!?!

Sal - Yeah, hopefully by December, this will be all done with.

Jose - Scary how close to home it hits!

Nani - Yes, we intend ot stay healthy..or that is the plan.

Churlita - They live in Tepatitlan, Jalisco. That is about 90 minutes from Guadalajara.

Laura - Yeah, sometimes you just have to worry.

Tara said...

Wow, this was going around two years after I was born. Totally missed the craze. Course that was before CNN.