Friday, December 02, 2005

Don't Be Shy...

Last night I had a patient who was 30 weeks pregnant (40 weeks is term) who was having contractions. For those of you who don't know, that's too early to have a baby, so contractions are no good.

So I do my paperwork and assessment and discuss with them what the plan was. The husband asked me why she was having contractions. I tell him there are lots of theories, but nobody knows for sure why contractions start - why some people go into labor on time, some too early, some never. But I tell him that there are some things that are treatable that make women have contractions, like dehydration and urinary tract infections. The following conversation ensues...

Him: So, can, uh, other things start contractions?
Me: Like what?
Him: Well, uh, like, you know, if we, um...
Me: Sex?
Him: Well, uh, yeah.
Me: Don't be shy. We embrace sex here because without it, we'd be out of a job. And hey, we all know what you did to get here, so don't worry about it.

And, the good nurse I am, I proceed to answer his question.

But really, you are a grown man, married with a job, capable of reproducing and preparing to bring a new human being into this world. Act like a man and sack up and just ask your question. Don't beat wround the bush like a shy, bumbling little teenager.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what is so funny? I can just SEE Nurse Jessica, just sitting there, telling a perfect stranger, "Yeah, I know you had sex. Duh. How do you think she got pregnant to begin with." =)

Don't forget, just because a man is capable of reproducing says absolutely nothing of the intellect or maturity that he may bring to the world. I have seen some dumb ass men have babies. Too many of them if you ask me.

Kelly

MrManuel said...

Some people are just really shy talking about...uh, you know...