Thursday, April 06, 2006

What kind of job do you have?

This may be a set-up, but hear me out. I think at this moment sitting in my home listening to my ipod and eating a bunch of mini easter egg candies that there are two kinds of jobs in the world. The job that let's you daydream and the kind that doesn't. I will use myself as the example of the former.

I have an extremely easy job. I have always had jobs like this to an extent. The kind of job that any half-way intelligent person can understand in less than an hour. Perhaps I find myself looking for jobs like my current one because they offer no mental or physical challenge thus giving me the easy road. This also leads me to conclude that I get and deserve exactly what I have and am at the moment cause you get what you put into something. Something else hit me though over the past couple of weeks. If you don't already know, I am a driver. I do actually get out of the vehicle every now and then, but in a 10 hour day I will probably be sitting in the vehicle for 7-8 hours of that day. Now I love music, but even I can get tired of listening to the same 5 songs on every radio station every 10 minutes. I still do pay attention to the road of course, but I finally know why I took this job. I get to daydream. A LOT! This may be my creative side that likes to just consider all the things around me and get lost in my own imagination. I can reflect on the past and make plans for the future. Most of all I can just simply let go of what is on me. Now we all have that family member or friend who just simply can't get over all the things wrong in their life. As if they are the only person in the world with problems and those problems are of such great significance that we must all share in them. These kind of people need to go outside and daydream for a minute. Granted, I have few real cares or responsibilities in my life. If I packed up a bag and took off for a week it really wouldn't hurt anyone in my life. Just as long as I left a note. I just think nowadays that my daydreams take all those lil problems away for a minute. Yeah I still gotta pay for a tux and get rid of my credit debt and yada yada yada. Don't you think it would be tremendously boring and selfish of me to sit here and tell you about my self-inflicted problems on a weekly basis on this here blog? I think so. Now for the other end of this discussion.

I have heard too many married men tell me how smart I am for not being married. The reasons vary. Get more women before I settle down. You get to keep more of your money. You still have more freedom and a life without having to check in. Blah blah blah. This relates to those same people who tell me about the job they hate that they stick with because they "HAVE TO". These are the non-daydreaming jobs. Once you check in and get on the clock the first thing on your mind is when you are clocking out. You hate the cubicle you are in and the co-worker who takes all the donuts before you can get one. You become so busy getting buried in the next work assignment and the drama of the workplace that it just tears you down. Mind, body and soul. I know people like this. The first thing they do when they see a person for the first time that day is tell them all about the crap that is going on at work. The lifers who don't see beyond the weekend and the release. By the way, You do not "HAVE TO" do anything in your life. Every thing is still a choice.

I am not advocating either side. I myself see the pros and cons of my life and my daydreaming job. I have heard plenty about the other side to know that I won't ever have a job like the non-daydreamers have. My proposal for myself and for the others. Combine the two somehow. I have daydreamed away a lot of my life without the actual action that most non-daydreamers are known for. That said, I will not find my way to a two martini lunch followed by the 6 pack at home to get me through the rest of my work week. For those in the middle of it already I say take a lunch and DO NOT spend it bitching about what your co-worker just did or the work you still have to get to. Think about the clouds in the freaking sky for a minute. Drive by a neighborhood you haven't seen in a long time and have a nice memory of what you did there once with a friend of yours. Take a yoga breathe and daydream. And go back to the jungle. I will find a better way to fill my day with something more productive than window shopping or a movie. And at the end of the week we can all meet somewhere in the middle people. Ya with me?

By the way 7 out of 11 in my wrestlemania picks.
Hey Manuel, My tivo recording messed up so there is no WM 22 to watch either. I will get ya the DVD.
Cassie, when are you getting married already? Everyone else I know is either married, engaged, or getting married so get on top of things. :) JK kiddo. And don't you love spike TV? They always got some UFC show on every freaking night? Royce Gracie is still my dude. Him and Vitor Belfort
As usual, never wash colors and whites together. Your mother is always right. ALWAYS! and spread the virus. Rabble Rock!

9 comments:

Valkyrie said...

Hmm. I work for a MAJOR health insurance company and my life seems to be contained in my little cubicle which is plastered with Simpsons memoribilia.

3 and a half walls hold me captive for a good part of my life. At times I want more than to be a bean counter (can't tell you my official job title) and I do dream of life outside the box. BUT...as much as I want freedom and creativity, I also appreciate the stability of my job. I like my supervisor and co workers, and I know that I take care of people with what I do. So I think I'll stay for now.

I wish I could have it both ways. Freedom and structure.

MrManuel said...

Well said man. I think I have definitely found that nice middle with Real Estate - assumming I eventually start making more money. Well thought out post though.

Stop throwing marriage ideas into my sister's head ya ASS!!!

Don't worry about Wrestlemania. I'll just get it on Netflix when it comes out in a month or so.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I have a nice, middle of the road job too. Nursing is fantastic - I meet new people every day, I experience all walks of life, I witness the beginning of life. There are days where I run my ass off, and there are days I sit around, gossip, laugh and play cards. There's a nice mix. There are days I get to come home early, and days I get to stay home and get paid for it. I LOVE my coworkers. The only reason I look forward to clocking out is because I work 12 hour shifts. I'm very happy where I am (and damnit, I should be, after 8 friggin' years of college!)

But, alas, I am a BIG advocate for doing what needs to be done to make yourself happy. I agree that nobody HAS to do anything. Especially if that something makes you unhappy. If you're that unhappy, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! Don't sit there and bitch and moan - get off your butt and fix it. I think this is perfectly exampled by my dear, sweet husband. He was miserable as a teacher. As much as it pained me to see him leave a job with a stable, steady income, I supported him because his happiness was far more important than a paycheck. And there it is, in real life. "Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'."

By the way, Manuel has never said that you're smart for not getting married, right?!?! :-)

Anonymous said...

It's all well and good for you young folks. I've put in 15 years where I work and though I don't mind the work, I'm sick of the politics. I really can't leave because I plan to retire in 10 years and don't want to start over somewhere and lose what I've built. I'll get a pension and medical coverage after 20years with the company, as well as what I've saved in my 401K and Social Security (hope and pray)so I'm stuck there. I'm not unhappy, just not real happy.

Anonymous said...

When am I getting married huh?...Good question probably in like two years. I'm only going to be 20 Rich jeez! At times now though I feel like the pressure is on to get married because a couple of my friends are getting married and having kids and now everybody is asking Mike and I when we're getting married. I just finally got a good paying job so I can start saving money to move out though.
Which brings me to the next topic...I love to daydream...hell I had two hours to do it when I would commute to SF for school. I went to my school for a reason, so I didn't have to have a boring job where I wasn't able to use my imagination, I love to be creative. One has to daydream...I daydream about my future all the time and I feel that those daydreams keep me going.
I love UFC, it was on last night.I didn't see it but Mike did.I had to watch my O.C. You know Gracie's going to be fighting in like May right. Mike and I are counting down.

Anonymous said...

Good post Rich. I love to daydream and just be in my own thoughts. I think it has probably been about a year now that when I am in the car by myself I don't even turn on the radio anymore. I am deep in thought and yes, prayer, and it really helps. I too love my job! It is the most challenging job I have ever had but just the same I like it. I would never stay in a job that I did not like unless there was no alternative and I don't believe that money is everything. I've known people that transferred jobs and moved across country just for a better paying job and left what they loved behind. Is money really worth that? I believe that you have to do what makes you happy. I'm proud of Manuel for realizing that when he did. And Cassie I'm proud of as well for realizing what she needed to do. She took a chance by going to the college she did but because of a dream she made it through.

Anonymous said...

I went to college for 6 years and got a Masters degree. What did I do with it? I am a stay at home mom. A little girl who is 2 and a 3 week old boy. All day long I sing songs, watch Sesame Street, try to explain why we don't talk with our mouths full... hopefully teach my child to be a better person than I am. I also, change diapers, clean up puke, and HOPEFULLY get to shower before dinnertime. I definitely miss adult conversation, and sometimes I wonder if my life revolves too much around my little ones.

More than hearing people complain about their jobs, I HATE hearing people talking about their children like they are a burden. Sometimes when Pete goes to work I am absolutely green with envy that I don't get to go instead; but at the same time I can't imagine being without my gruesome twosome. I do hope to start working again in the next year or so, but on my own terms. If I am unable to find the balance Rich speaks of, what would be the point of doing it?

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Kelly, I don't think your life can revolve around yout little ones too much. When your life DOES revolve around your children, that's called good parenting. I think the youth of today would be considerably better off if MORE parent's lives revolved around their children.

We gotr the picture of Noah. Thank you for including us. He's precious. Congratulations.

On a side note, Nikki and Jeff had their baby, Morgan, on April 4th. She's a little peanut who's also precious.

But then again, babies are ALWAYS precious, especially when you want one more than the air you breathe...

Anonymous said...

I think my job is to suffer:(