Sunday, April 30, 2006

A Sense of Accomplishment

Manuel nor I have green thumbs. In fact, we don't even like to work in the yard. I would GLADLY pay a gardener to come mow my lawn and pull my weeds. Money well spent, in my opinion.

That being said, you can imagine what our back yard looked like after the winter. In fact, I posted a while back that the weeds were so tall birds were perching on them. It was BAD news.

Well, Manuel took the weekend off from open houses and we pulled weeds, mowed lawns, trimmed hedges - basically worked our asses off to clean up the back yard. And now it looks FANTASTIC! There are no weeds, the lawn is mowed (kinda brown because the weeds and tall grass kept the sun from the actual lawn, but that will fix itself in a short amount of time) and trimmed the ivy and bushes on the side of the house so now you can actually walk on the sidewalk. When I look outside, I hardly recognize the yard. It looks really good.

When we were done, Manuel said to me, "Can you believe how good the yard looks?! What's more unbelievable? How different the yard looks or that we actually did all that work?!"

And that pretty much sums up our opinion of yard work.

But I'll tell you what, looking outside and seeing the difference gives me a huge sense of accomplishment. I'm really proud of us! I'm just sad we didn't do before and after pictures so you can appreciate exactly what we did...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's good Jessica. I know the feeling. Last year we re-planted the front planter and I love that we did it together. It is a good feeling.

Anonymous said...

I'm proud of you guys. I can attest to how bad it did look and it is incredible now. You guys should feel good!

Anonymous said...

I weeded my little garden in my front yard. I felt good after that, especially because I found about a million snails! My lawn mower is broken, and I can't see either of my dogs when they go potty.:(

p.s. don't park in front of crabby old sons of bitches houses when you help your friend with her yard!

Anonymous said...

ok, here's the story about me and the old son of a bitch.

Yesterday, I was over at my friend Monica's house, helping her out with her front yard. I was sitting on the sidewalk next to my car, which I had parked in front of her neighbor's house right next to her in the next duplex. I parked there because sometimes her husband Tim comes home for lunch, and I wanted to be out of the way.

I was cleaning out an ice chest that was too gross for Monica to stomach, on the sidewalk. The neighbor guy comes home, and says hi to me. I say a cheerfull hello, and he asks me if that is my car. Still not realizing he's annoyed that I parked in front on his house, I said yes. I asked if I'm going to be leaving soon, in an obviously snide way. I asked why. He said I should move, so his lady friend, who parks there everyday, could park there; and why had I parked there in the first place? Why didn't you park on your friend's property in stead of mine? Well, I said that he didn't own the sidewalk, as it is public property, but I would move it if he was going to be that way about it. (his lady friend could park in his driveway, as he parked his car in the garage. I think I would prefer that, if I was her, but anyway...) The whole time I'm calling him sir and trying to stick up for myself, but in a respectful way.
So I've just said I was going to move my car, when he snaps "I don't even know why you're here today! You should be downtown with the rest of the people like you!" It was obvious to me that he was referring to the Mexican/immigrant protesters downtown yesterday. I was shocked. I smacked my sponge down, looked right at him and said, "Are you saying I'm Mexican and that's why I should be downtown with the rest of them?" (I was making sure I was clear on this) He starts getting into his house and says, "Well, you're acting like them!" I said, "Hey, you started this, mister!" Man!
Monica was hosing the other side of the yard, and didn't hear a thing. We got into the house for some iced tea, when I decided to tell her. I felt a little ashamed, having been 'fighting' with her neighbor. When I told her, she told me that he's been doing that to them and all the rest of their friends. She called Tim and told him, and now he's going to park in front of the guy's house everday, and if the guy says anything to him, he's going to threaten him with suing for harrassment! Guess that guy being a butt to me today was the last straw for Tim.
Nobody usually notices my Mexicaness, so I feel a little proud to have fought the good fight! If we're stereotyping, guess I came in contact with a grumpy, old son of a bitch!
Whew! ok, that's it. Thanks!

MrManuel said...

HOLY CRAP ALLISON!!! What an ASS! You were able to hold back more than I would have. Just speechless.....

Anonymous said...

I don't think I would have been as calm either. I don't even think you look mexican.

Anonymous said...

Who's this markmiller? Manuel, is that an advertisement?

MrManuel said...

Yup...looks like I got some blog spam. It happens..I guess I should delete it...