Saturday, May 06, 2006

Great Way To Start My Night...

Thursday night, on my way to work, traffic was heavier than it has EVER been, which made me a little late to work. I wasn't late to WORK, but I normally park my car in the parking structure at 1830, and Thursday night I PULLED INTO the parking structure at 1835. Not a HUGE difference, I know, but you know how you feel hurried when you're behind schedule...

So I find a parking spot and turn left to pull into it. As I'm pulling in, the kid in the passenger seat of the car next to me decides to open his door RIGHT AS I'M PULLING IN!! Yes, his door hits my car. Of course I stop, look over at him (mind you, I'm in a hurry and mildly stressed out already because of running late, so I'm sure the look on my face was less than pleasant) and he looks like a deer in headlights. His eyes are wide, his mouth is open, he's staring at me, not moving. I wait a few seconds for the kid to close the door so I can continue parking, but the little dude is frozen. I finally motion with my hand for him to close his door, which he does, and I park. I sit there, waiting for him to get out of his car, but he's still frozen, so again I motion with my hand for him to get out of the car, which he does.

Then his mother comes over, going in front of her car so she can look at my car where the door hit (driver's side wheel well.) I open my door and she says, "Didn't you see him opening the door?"

ARE YOU SERIOUS?! If your kid was opening his car door BEFORE I pulled into the spot, do you think I would have kept going?! Generally, when I see something obstructing the path of my vehicle, I stop!

But I didn't say that. I just kept quiet.

I gather my bags and get out of the car. She says, still looking at the wheel well, "Well, it looks like there's no damage." I go over to inspect it and immediately my eyes are drawn to a white scuff on the car. Her car was white. My car is dark gray. A white scuff on a dark gray car is no damage?!

Finally I speak up. I reach over and touch the scuff and say, "This wasn't here before."

She says, "No, I don't think he did that."

I just stare at her.

She says, "Ok then, what do you want to do about it?"

I start to walk away, saying, "I don't have time for this. I'm running late and it's not THAT bad."

Of course, they walk behind me to the hospital, and I hear her talking to him the whole time about how important it is to look before you open the car door.

BUT I THOUGHT IT WAS ALREADY OPEN BEFORE I PULLED IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

She knew. She just took the offensive. Sorry about your car, again. My car was 1 month old when someone (I know who but he denied it) opened his car door and put a small ding in it.

Anonymous said...

The mother didn't want to be responsible for the damage.
The deer in the headlights look was probably because she's a bitchy mom, and he knew he was in for it. As Red Foreman from That 70's Show would say, she's a dumb-ass!

Anonymous said...

That sucks because it is not enough to worry about and fix but yet now it makes your car look like shit. Now there are two dents, right? The one from the raging maniac that hit the car because he was mad at Manuel?

Anonymous said...

She's lucky that wasn't me. I would have blown hair back. The nerve. Yor poor car.