Tuesday, January 23, 2007

And The Nominees Are...

Manuel and I woke up at 530 this morning to watch the Academy Award nominations. The Academy Awards are a HUGE deal for us. For those of you who don't know, every year we see all 5 movies nominated for Best Picture. Manuel and I have been doing this for 10 years, and before he was in the picture, my step-mom and I were doing it for a few years before that. I really like that we do this - it gives us intimate knowledge of the nominees and we are better able to enjoy the awards show, especially the end when they announce the big winner.

So, without further ado, I give you the Best Picture nominations for 2006, a little information about each movie (thanks to www.imdb.com) and our status and opinions...


Summary: Two men from opposite sides of the law are undercover within the Massachusetts State Police and the Irish mafia, but violence and bloodshed boil when discoveries are made, and the moles are dispatched to find out their enemy's identities.
Status: Saw it
Opinion: LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED LOVED it!




Summary: A family determined to get their young daughter into the finals of a beauty pageant take a cross-country trip in their VW bus.
Status: Has been on Netflix since before it was nominated.
Opinion: We look forward to seeing this. We've heard it is really cute.





Summary: Tragedy strikes a married couple on vacation in the Moroccan desert, touching off an interlocking story involving six different families.
Status: Have to see it.
Opinion: We're ok with this one too. We think it sounds a lot like 2005's winner, Crash. But Brad Pitt is in it!



Summary: The story of the battle of Iwo Jima between the United States and Imperial Japan during World War II, as told from the perspective of the Japanese who fought it.
Status: Have to see it.
Opinion: I'm not a big war movie fan - Thin Red Line, Saving Private Ryan. I'm ok if I never ever see those movies again. Manuel is ok with having to see this.


Summary: After the untimely death of Lady Diana Spencer, Queen Elizabeth's restrained reaction causes a public relations debacle that Prime Minister Tony Blair must defuse.
Status: Have to see it.
Opinion: Neither of us is really interested in seeing this movie. We are SO over the whole Princess Di thing... Of all the nominated movies, we are least thrilled about this one.
But SUPER thrilled we don't have to see Dreamgirls!!
We'll update you as we see the movies and the opinions roll in. So excited for February 25th!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love movies but but HATE going to the theater. Obviously I have a lot of DVDs to rent. I am really excited about seeing "Babel". I, too, could do without seeing the war film, although my hubby loves 'em. I haven't seen any of the nominated films yet!

Anonymous said...

We saw The Departed. Loved it. I hope it wins! And Scorcese too. Saw Little Miss Sunshine. Didn't love it and I think it is nominated because of the subject.

Anonymous said...

I want to see all the movies. I always want to see all the movies, but I never do, maybe this year I'll make it a point to do it. I think Babel looks really good.

Anonymous said...

The only movie I saw was Little Miss Sunshine, and personally, I loved it. Do I think it will Best Picture, no, but it was fantastic fun.

Crazy Bitch said...

I was just watching Little Miss Sunshine at my friend's house. I thought it was really good! The story was different, and the family was a crack up!