Tuesday, January 30, 2007

The Challenge

This is me at about 14 years old. Good lookin' kid I think. I know a lot of you are looking at this and saying, "Wow, he used to be somewhat skinny." It's true. At one point in my life, I was. I actually stayed pretty close to this weight until I was about 16 or so. Didn't help me get any girls or anything, but hey, that is a different story altogether. My point is that I wasn't always the big hefty man size that I am now. And you know what, I am tired of it. I'd like to lose weight. I'd like to lose a lot of it. Slowly of course, because too much at once is a bad thing. I'd like to document my weight loss here on this blog. I tried this once when I first started the blog, but because there was only like one reader at the time, I felt no pressure to keep it up. Now I have a good number of readers and I feel like this will help me with my goal.

My goal is to lose an average of one pound a week. If I gain a little one week, I can still check to make sure I am still at my pound a week average. I.E. - by the end of week 4, I hope to have lost 4 pounds. If I lose 4 pounds by week 3, and then in week 4, I stay even, it's still okay because I am still at the one pound of week average. I know that some weeks, shit happens. But I always have that average to fall back on.

So, what I plan to do is weigh in every Friday morning and then post my total weight loss. Ex. Week 1, 1.5 pounds lost. I won't be putting my total weight because it isn't important right now. All that matters is if I lost.

I am asking if any bloggers or even fellow readers who don't have a blog if they would like to join me in this challenge. On Fridays, you will weigh yourself and then see how you are meeting the average goal. YOU DON"T HAVE TO PUT YOUR WEIGHT. Just what you have lost. My posts will be called "Fat Free Fridays." I am not saying any of you need it by any means, but hey, I am going to be doing it, and I thought I would extend the offer to all of you. Hey, if nobody else decides to do it, no biggie. But the invitation is out. If you do decide to do it, remember to weigh yourself on Friday morning. At the least, all I ask for is your support!

BTW: This is not a competition. More of a support group. Nobody is competing to see who loses the most weight. Just try to meet your goal.

16 comments:

npanth said...

Good luck, losing weight can be a difficult thing. I stopped eating fast food about 1.5 years ago. I lost alot of weight. Now, I've plateaued, even gained back a little. I think it'll sort itself out as it warms up in the spring, if not, I'll have to come up with my own plan ;)

Mom said...

I love your challenge! I'm in! As you might already know by your lovely wife, I too have been dieting and now just this week I have been motivated enough to go back to the gym. I like that you aren't rushing your weight loss. Learning how to eat is the important thing, along with the exercise you guys are already doing. Self control is my biggest problem - I love food way too much and eat mostly for taste. We all have our goals. Mine is of course for my own personal health and respect for myself and how I look but also the upcoming wedding. I'm tired of taking pictures and either hating the picture or hiding behind people. Good luck to you and I look forward to more people joining us!!!

Anonymous said...

Just in the past few months I have started on Weight Watchers. It is amazing how much better I feel. I am losing the excess baby weight slowly, but I am learning to eat because I am hungry. (i.e., not because I am bored, emotional, lonely, etc...) I am also learning how to cook better. Now if I could just get my butt to the gym I would be looking fiiiine! =) I am in! Thanks for the motivation.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

There's a THOUSAND things I could say about weight, as I have been battling with it my ENTIRE life, but suffice it to say that, like everything in life, I support you 150% and will join you in your journey.

Anonymous said...

You go, guy! If you want some weight loss tips, I can chime in with some that helped me lose 30 a few years ago. I have a great nutritionist and I learned a lot from her that I'd love to share.
I just heard on the radio that they have these gyms called Spectrum where you can go workout - and to keep your motivation up, everytime you earn a certain amount of workout points you can use them to buy things (like credit card points). I think that's an interesting idea!

Anonymous said...

P.S. The most important thing about losing weight is to establish a way of eating that you can stick with for the rest of your life so you won't yoyo diet. Discard the word "diet" from your vocabulary. If you know how to eat right, you'll never have to feel deprived.

Jose said...

Well I will be cheering you on. Go Manuel go, you can do it.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I have been eating healthier since Uncle Skip cooks. Mostly poultry and veggies because of his high cholestrol and borderline diabetes. I walk at work with a friend. I've lost about 15 lbs and feel much better. I'll weigh in and let you know if I've lost more but don't expect much here. It's so much harder to lose weight when you are over 50. I fully support you. Hugs and smiles.

Sebastien Millon said...

Great idea! I'm already sort of a health nut as it is... I can definitely try and help you stay motivated, that is the toughest of all, because in life there is so much shit going on sometimes keeping motivated and focused can be the hardest thing. Good idea to set modest goals, maybe even 1 pound every 2 weeks would be a good idea, and then once you get the ball rolling you could change it to 1 pound a week. I think getting momentum in these challenges is important!

MrManuel said...

Npanth - No fast food for 1.5 years. I'm impressed!

Mom - Thanks for playing along!

Kel - Sounds like you are on your way!!

Mrs. - Thanks babe!

Sonja - That is actually a pretty good motivational system they have there!

Jose - Thanks!


Nani - Sounds like you are doing prett well.

Seb - Yup, got to get that momentum going.

Anonymous said...

I'll join you brother in your journey. I'm trying to lose weight to look better in my wedding dress, I've already lost like 5 pounds from when I was sick, plus I haven't been eating as much fast food with Mike. Count me in!

Mom said...

Sounds like we are going to have a lot of thin beautiful people at the wedding. But really, motivation is the key and it looks like we all have it. The key point is to not get discouraged and to set reasonable goals. Looks like you have a ton of support. Let's keep it up for Manuel guys!!!!

Anonymous said...

Why don't we form a group blog?

I'll join.

mrvideoguy said...

I am in too. I can stand to lose some unwanted midsection myself.

Anonymous said...

Hey Manuel,
Regarding your weight loss program, I wanted to tell you about a website called "Saving Dinner" where they email you (for a small fee) complete recipes and shopping lists for an entire week of breakfast, lunches and dinners. There are several different programs to choose from (I chose the "Body Clutter" menu) depending on what you want to accomplish. Here's the website:

http://www.savingdinner.com/

They will have some sample menus on there so you can see what you get for your subscription, and you can also print out the menus in the samples.
I just subscribed this week. If you send me your snail mail address, I can send you the first offering I received.

MrManuel said...

Cass - Yeah, all that fast food is a killer!

POM - Cool!

Mom - Yeah, all these people is really cool!

Val - If I do a group blog, I'll forget this one. Not a multitasker. If gives me something to write about on Fridays!

Mrvideoguy - Yeah, boy!!!!

Sonja - Sounds cool, but most of those things include meals that have a lot of veggies. I know they are healthier, but I hate them. I just do portion control and combined with exercise, I usually do pretty well. Thing is sticking to it.