Wednesday, January 17, 2007

SCORE!!!

I just scored a cool deal with Directv! As many of you know, I have NBA league pass and I have had it for many years. I gt to watch basically ever single NBA game. I am big fan, but it isn't my favorite sport. Soccer is my favorite. There are a couple of soccer channels, but you have to pay the $12 a month for the complete sports package to get the 3 soccer channels plus all the regional sport networks. I wanted to do it, but I just couldn't pull the trigger. However, thsi year, I am barely watching any NBA games outside of the Kings. They are all at night and Jess and I usually have something better to watch. Even if there is a good game, Jess really doesn't want to watch and we end up watching something else.

I decided to call Directv and see if I could get half of my money back since the season is not even half done yet. They said there were no refunds and they apologized. I told them I would get the sports package so they would still be gettin my money. (Well, a little less as the sports package is $12/mo x 12 momths for $144 while the league pass is $169/yr.) The read me the contract that says no refunds and again apologized, but told me, if I wanted the sports package still, they would give it to me for TWO DOLLARS a month! Right away, I said, "SOLD!"

So, I still have league pass. I'll watch some games when I can. But now I am getting my sports package which most importantly has the soccer channels for $2/mo instead of $12/mo for the first 6 months. Not too bad a deal. And with my high definition box coming next month, my tv life is good....

7 comments:

Mom said...

You lucky guy! Congrats! Maybe you should go buy a lottery ticket! Dad will be happy you will be able to watch soccer.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Normally your wife not wanting to watch sports with you is a bad thing, but look at the deal you got, thanks to me!

Anonymous said...

My brother has been with Direct TV for years. NFL Ticket, college basketball deal, all of the movie channels... the list goes on. If you call and talk to them, most of the time they will give you 6 month deals on just about anything. Scared to lose any business. At one point, I think he threatened them with switching to digital cable... and they gave him all kinds of deals. It's crazy.

Jose said...

Someone told me that it doesn't matter who you dealing with, if you ask and bargain a bit most likely you will get a break. Seems to me you got your brake. Happy Soccer watching!

Sebastien Millon said...

Cool! Sounds like they hooked you up! Didn't know soccer was your favorite, I guess I assumed it was b-ball!

Battlerocker said...

Nice work. :) I've never gotten that into the NBA, but I do enjoy soccer. It would be nice to have them all the time.

MrManuel said...

Mom - And he got to watch a good game already too!

Wife - Yeah, you're the best

Lunchbox - Directv rocks!

Jose - Most of the time, yes.

Seb - Nope, played soccer all my life

Battlerocker - And now I do!