Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ummmm...creepy

Ok, so my words can't do it justice, so just read the news article...

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — A Puerto Rican man has been granted his wish to remain standing — even in death. A funeral home used a special embalming treatment to keep the corpse of 24-year-old Angel Pantoja Medina standing upright for his three-day wake.Dressed in a Yankees baseball cap and sunglasses, Pantoja was mourned by relatives while propped upright in his mother's living room.His brother Carlos told the El Nuevo Dia newspaper the victim had long said he wanted to be upright for his own wake: "He wanted to be happy, standing."The owner of the Marin Funeral Home, Damaris Marin, told The Associated Press the mother asked him to fulfill her dead son's last wish.Pantoja was found dead Friday underneath a bridge in San Juan and buried Monday. Police are investigating.

So, homeboy is dead, but propped up in his house just chillin' there for all to see. I found out later he was a known drug dealer and was found shot 11 times. All power to him if this was his wish, but it kind of creeps me out. Here are the pictures from his wake.




Nobody puts Angel in the corner...





Anyone else heard of this before. Someone told me it is actually a Jewish tradition, but I can not confirm this. Anyone? Oh, and if it is your tradition and I offended, sorry...

14 comments:

Jose said...

I totally agree with you, this is creepy. I prefer the Mexican way, just bring me a good Mariachi band and sing happy songs.

Churlita said...

Wow. No thanks. I'd probably run our of that house screaming. Irish people just drink a whole lot in honor of the deceased.

Anonymous said...

I don't know about it being any kind of tradition. Even if it was a Jewish tradition....was he jewish? I think it is more a control issue. After all, he was a criminal. Even so, his Mama loved him. Creepy but kind of sweet.

Tara said...

Oh my god, that is beyond creepy. I understand his theory in a way, but...Yuck! He looks like a statue in the wax museum! I expect Vincent Price to pop out somewhere.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Dude, dead people just look so... dead. That's why I'm going closed coffin all the way - remember me like I REALLY looked.

dmarks said...

It's a Transylvanian tradition too, except the dead not only stand, they also also walk and bite.

Anonymous said...

It is better than a Christian death...

I have heard stories from when my folks were kids that the deceased was in the casket, in the living room and that the bodies would sometimes sit up.

This is way better.

AlienCG said...

If I were to walk into the funeral where the "guest of honor" was standing up, I would probably leave promptly. That is just a bit far out for my liking.

Mom said...

That was just way to creep for 6:30 in the morning. I'm so sorry I checked your blog this early!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I know that irish tradition is they lay them in a casket or something on a table for all to see.. then they drink and tell stories.. standing is downright creepy...

dmarks said...

I like the Scottish tradition where the deceased is Connor MacLeod, and he wakes after the wake.

*Renee* said...

This is very creepy - all in all! I've been to several viewings and it's hard enough to see them in the coffin but standing, is just odd. I'm part Jewish (not real religious or anything) and normally they don't do viewings at all. My grandfather who passed away last year had a viewing which is considered "rare" in the Jewish religion. Why, I dunno? Probably a Kosher thing. The normal tradition is closed coffin/casket.

From what I understand, my mom wanted it that way because it was so sudden and we were all in shock like this really didn't happen. So the viewing made us realize he's no longer with us.

PurpleOceanMoon said...

GROSS!!!!

MrManuel said...

Jose - Sounds like a good time to me!

Churlita - Also sounds like a good time!

Nani - I guess it can be considered sweet, yes.

Tara - They always look like wax to me when dead.

Mrs - Deal!

Dmarks - COOL!

Evil - Christian death?? I don't get it...

Alien - I would be a little weirded out as well.

Mom - Oh, he could have been in a clown suit.

MBHW -Drinking is encouraged.

Renee - Thanks for clearing that up.

POM - I agree!